(23-13, 6-6 away)
(5) Miami 63
(29-6, 14-1 home)
Venue: Erwin Center
9:04PM ET / 6:04PM PT, March 24, 2013
||B Paul 18
||N Egwu 12
||T Abrams 2
||R Brown 21
||K Kadji 8
||S Larkin 5
No. 2-seeded Miami (FL) squared off with No. 7-seeded Illinois on Sunday, Mar. 24 and beat the Fighting Illini 63-59 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. The Hurricanes were led by Rion Brown, who put up a game-high 21 points, with 15 coming from three-point range. Shane Larkin also had a solid game, scoring 17 points and adding five assists. Nnanna Egwu registered a double-double for the Fighting Illini on 12 points and 12 rebounds. Illinois wraps up the season with a 23-13 record. The Fighting Illini got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Indiana 80-64 in the Big Ten Tournament In the regular season, they finished seventh in the Big Ten with an 8-10 conference record. Illinois defeated No. 10-seeded Colorado 57-49 in the second round. Miami (FL) (29-6, 15-3 ACC) plays No. 3-seeded Marquette (25-8, 14-4 Big East) in the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday, Mar. 28.
Miami (FL) Game Notes
- The win over Illinois extended the Miami (FL) winning streak to six games.
- The Hurricanes have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Miami (FL) is 26-31 in close games.
- The Hurricanes have won every game this season (10-0) after recording nine or more three-pointers.
- Miami (FL) has won every game this season (4-0) when opponents record two or fewer steals.
- Miami (FL) has won 93 percent of the time this season (13-1) after holding an opponent to under 37.7 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Miami (FL) has won 78 percent of the time (21-6) when Kenny Kadji has 10 points or more and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Shane Larkin plays 40 minutes or more.
- Miami (FL) set a season low for turnovers (six).
- The Hurricanes have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past four games.
- Miami (FL) has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past five games.
- Rion Brown accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's points.
- Rion Brown has led the team in scoring in three out of 35 games this season.
- Kenny Kadji has led the team in rebounding in 14 out of 35 games this season.
- Shane Larkin has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Rion Brown's career.
Illinois Game Notes
- The Fighting Illini have lost two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Illinois is 31-34 in close games.
- Nnanna Egwu recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with seven.
- Brandon Paul tallied a team season high in field goals attempted with 20.
- Brandon Paul accounted for 30.5 percent of the team's points.
- Nnanna Egwu accounted for 31.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Brandon Paul has led the team in scoring 22 times in 36 games this season.
- Nnanna Egwu has led the team in rebounding 12 times in 36 games this season.
- Brandon Paul has nine straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for D.J. Richardson.
- Nnanna Egwu recorded the third double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Nnanna Egwu recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- Nnanna Egwu set career highs with 12 rebounds and seven offensive rebounds.
- Tyler Griffey set a career high with four three-pointers.