(23-13, 6-6 away)
(5) Miami 63
(29-6, 14-1 home)
Venue: Erwin Center
9:04PM ET / 6:04PM PT, March 24, 2013
||B Paul 18
||N Egwu 12
||T Abrams 2
||R Brown 21
||K Kadji 8
||S Larkin 5
No. 7-seeded Illinois fell short to No. 2-seeded Miami (FL) 63-59 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday, Mar. 24. Nnanna Egwu earned a double-double for the Fighting Illini with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Brandon Paul had a team-high 18 points and added four rebounds. Rion Brown finished with a game-high 21 points for the Hurricanes, making five of 10 from three-point range. Illinois closes out the season with a 23-13 record. The Fighting Illini got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Indiana 80-64 in the Big Ten Tournament. In the regular season, they finished seventh in the Big Ten with an 8-10 record in conference play. Illinois topped No. 10-seeded Colorado 57-49 in the second round.
Illinois Game Notes
- Illini beat the spread by three points. That makes the 15th time this season the Fighting Illini have beaten the spread.
- The Fighting Illini have been unlucky two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Illinois is 31-34 in close games.
- Prior to this game, Illini played 58 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 18-40.
- Illinois has lost 88 percent of the time this season (1-7) after recording seven or fewer assists.
- The Fighting Illini have lost 78 percent of the time this season (2-7) after having a three-point percentage of 25.9 percent or worse.
- Illini set a season low for steals (two).
- Illinois has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past nine games.
- Nnanna Egwu recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with seven.
- Brandon Paul tallied a team season high in field goals attempted with 20.
- Brandon Paul accounted for 30.5 percent of the team's points.
- Nnanna Egwu accounted for 31.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Brandon Paul has led the team in scoring in 22 out of 36 games this season.
- Nnanna Egwu has led the team in rebounding in 12 out of 36 games this season.
- Brandon Paul has nine straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for D.J. Richardson.
- Nnanna Egwu recorded the third double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Nnanna Egwu recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- Nnanna Egwu had career highs with 12 rebounds and seven offensive rebounds.
- Tyler Griffey had a career high with four three-pointers.
Miami (FL) Game Notes
- The Hurricanes won this one, but have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Miami (FL) is 26-31 in close games.
- Rion Brown accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's points.
- Rion Brown has led the team in scoring three times in 35 games this season.
- Kenny Kadji has led the team in rebounding 14 times in 35 games this season.
- Shane Larkin has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Rion Brown's career.