Florida Gulf Coast 81
(26-10, 6-9 away)
San Diego State 71
(23-11, 14-1 home)
Venue: Wells Fargo Center
7:10PM ET / 4:10PM PT, March 24, 2013
|Florida Gulf Coast
|San Diego State
|Florida Gulf Coast
||B Thompson 23
||S Brown 8
||B Comer 14
|San Diego State
||J Franklin 20
||J Franklin 11
||X Thames 6
On Sunday, Mar. 24, No. 15-seeded Florida Gulf Coast beat No. 7-seeded San Diego State 81-71 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Bernard Thompson played well for the Eagles and put up a game-high 23 points and four rebounds. Brett Comer played his way to a double-double with 10 points and 14 assists. Jamaal Franklin registered a double-double for the Aztecs with a team-high 20 points and 11 rebounds (4 Ast 4 Stl). San Diego State wraps up the season with a 23-11 record. The Aztecs got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to New Mexico 60-50 in the Mountain West Tournament In the regular season, they finished fourth in the Mountain West with a 9-7 conference record. San Diego State took down No. 10-seeded Oklahoma 70-55 in the second round. Florida Gulf Coast (26-10, 13-5 Atlantic Sun) plays No. 3-seeded Florida (28-7, 14-4 SEC) in the Sweet Sixteen on Friday, Mar. 29.
Florida Gulf Coast Game Notes
- The win over San Diego State extended the Florida Gulf Coast winning streak to seven games.
- FGCU beat the spread by 17 points. That makes the 5th time this season the Eagles have beaten the spread.
- The Eagles have won every game this season (8-0) after recording 81 or more total points.
- Florida Gulf Coast has won 88 percent of the time this season (15-2) after committing 13 or fewer turnovers.
- Florida Gulf Coast has won 83 percent of the time this season (10-2) when its three-point percentage has been 38.9 percent or better.
- FGCU has won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) when opponents record nine or fewer free throws made.
- This season Florida Gulf Coast has won 73 percent of the time (16-6) when Chase Fieler has 11 points or more, 89 percent of the time (8-1) when Christophe Varidel has four field goals made or more, and 71 percent of the time (5-2) when Bernard Thompson has five steals or more.
- The Eagles set a season high for assists (21).
- The Eagles have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past four games.
- Florida Gulf Coast has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past eight games.
- This is the third win of the season where the Eagles came back after being down at halftime.
- Brett Comer recorded a team season high in assists with 14.
- The top two scorers (Bernard Thompson and Sherwood Brown) accounted for 49.3 percent of the points.
- Bernard Thompson has led the team in scoring in nine out of 36 games this season.
- Sherwood Brown has led the team in rebounding in 15 out of 36 games this season.
- This marks the ninth 20-point game of Bernard Thompson's career.
- Bernard Thompson has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- This game was the 11th double-digit assist game of Brett Comer's career.
- Brett Comer has three straight double-digit point games.
- Brett Comer recorded a double-double. It was his second this season and fourth of his career.
- Brett Comer had a career high with 14 assists.
- Sherwood Brown has six straight double-digit point games.
San Diego State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Jamaal Franklin and Chase Tapley) accounted for 52.1 percent of the points.
- Jamaal Franklin accounted for 32.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Jamaal Franklin has led the team in scoring 21 times and in rebounding 24 times in 34 games this season.
- This marks the 20th 20-point game of Jamaal Franklin's career.
- Jamaal Franklin recorded a double-double. It was his 13th this season and 26th of his career.
- Chase Tapley has six straight double-digit point games.
- DeShawn Stephens set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.