North Carolina 58
(25-11, 7-6 away)
(3) Kansas 70
(31-5, 16-1 home)
Venue: Sprint Center
5:25PM ET / 2:25PM PT, March 24, 2013
||P Hairston 15
||P Hairston 9
||D Strickland 4
||T Releford 22
||J Withey 16
||E Johnson 4
On Sunday, Mar. 24, No. 8-seeded North Carolina took on No. 1-seeded Kansas and came up short against the Jayhawks 70-58 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. The Tar Heels were paced by P.J. Hairston, who put up a team-high 15 points and nine rebounds. Dexter Strickland had nine points and added four assists. Jeff Withey recorded a double-double for the Jayhawks on 16 points and 16 rebounds. North Carolina closes out the season with a 25-11 record. The Tar Heels got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Miami (FL) 87-77 in the ACC Tournament. In the regular season, they finished third in the ACC with a 12-6 record in conference play. North Carolina took down No. 9-seeded Villanova 78-71 in the second round.
North Carolina Game Notes
- Prior to this game, UNC played 50 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 25-25.
- North Carolina has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-3) after recording 58 or fewer total points.
- The Tar Heels set a season high for steals (15).
- UNC set a season low for field goal percentage (30.1).
- North Carolina has recorded fewer rebounds than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the fourth loss of the season where the Tar Heels opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (P.J. Hairston and James Michael McAdoo) accounted for 44.8 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (P.J. Hairston and Reggie Bullock) accounted for 41.6 percent of the rebounds.
- P.J. Hairston has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 5 times in 36 games this season.
- P.J. Hairston has 15 straight double-digit point games.
- James Michael McAdoo has 11 straight double-digit point games.
Kansas Game Notes
- Jeff Withey recorded a team season high in rebounds with 16.
- Travis Releford accounted for 31.4 percent of the team's points.
- Jeff Withey accounted for 32.0 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Travis Releford has led the team in scoring eight times in 36 games this season.
- Jeff Withey has led the team in rebounding 23 times in 36 games this season.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Travis Releford's career.
- Travis Releford set a career high with nine field goals made.
- Jeff Withey recorded the 20th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jeff Withey has four straight double-digit point games.
- Jeff Withey recorded a double-double. It was his 13th this season and 19th of his career.