North Carolina 58
(25-11, 7-6 away)
(3) Kansas 70
(31-5, 16-1 home)
Venue: Sprint Center
5:25PM ET / 2:25PM PT, March 24, 2013
||P Hairston 15
||P Hairston 9
||D Strickland 4
||T Releford 22
||J Withey 16
||E Johnson 4
On Sunday, Mar. 24, No. 1-seeded Kansas took on No. 8-seeded North Carolina and got a major win against the Tar Heels 70-58 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Jeff Withey earned a double-double for the Jayhawks with 16 points and 16 rebounds. Travis Releford had a game-high 22 points and added eight rebounds. For the Tar Heels, P.J. Hairston finished with a team-high 15 points and nine rebounds. This makes five wins in a row for the Jayhawks. North Carolina wraps up the season with a 25-11 record. The Tar Heels got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Miami (FL) 87-77 in the ACC Tournament In the regular season, they finished third in the ACC with a 12-6 conference record. North Carolina topped No. 9-seeded Villanova 78-71 in the second round. Kansas (31-5, 14-4 Big 12) takes on No. 4-seeded Michigan (28-7, 12-6 Big Ten) in the Sweet Sixteen on Friday, Mar. 29.
Kansas Game Notes
- The win over North Carolina extended the Kansas winning streak to five games.
- KU beat the spread by six points. That makes the 19th time this season the Jayhawks have beaten the spread.
- The Jayhawks have won 94 percent of the time this season (17-1) after recording 17 or more free throws made.
- KU has won every game this season (17-0) when opponents record 58 or fewer total points.
- KU has won every game this season (7-0) after holding an opponent to under 30.1 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Kansas has won 100 percent of the time (12-0) when Jeff Withey has 16 points or more, 89 percent of the time (8-1) when Travis Releford plays 38 minutes or more, and 92 percent of the time (12-1) when Kevin Young has four field goals made or more.
- The Jayhawks set season highs for rebounds (50) and turnovers (22).
- The last time KU recorded at least 22 turnovers was Dec 06, 2011 against Long Beach State.
- The Jayhawks have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past five games.
- Kansas has recorded fewer steals than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the fourth win of the season where the Jayhawks came back after being down at halftime.
- Jeff Withey recorded a team season high in rebounds with 16.
- Travis Releford accounted for 31.4 percent of the team's points.
- Jeff Withey accounted for 32.0 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Travis Releford has led the team in scoring in eight out of 36 games this season.
- Jeff Withey has led the team in rebounding in 23 out of 36 games this season.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Travis Releford's career.
- Travis Releford had a career high with nine field goals made.
- Jeff Withey recorded the 20th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jeff Withey has four straight double-digit point games.
- Jeff Withey recorded a double-double. It was his 13th this season and 19th of his career.
North Carolina Game Notes
- The top two scorers (P.J. Hairston and James Michael McAdoo) accounted for 44.8 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (P.J. Hairston and Reggie Bullock) accounted for 41.6 percent of the rebounds.
- P.J. Hairston has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding five times in 36 games this season.
- P.J. Hairston has 15 straight double-digit point games.
- James Michael McAdoo has 11 straight double-digit point games.