On Sunday, Mar. 24, Ohio State turned the ball over just nine times and narrowly beat the Cyclones 78-75 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Aaron Craft led the Buckeyes and put up 18 points in 40 minutes. Deshaun Thomas had a game-high 22 points and added five rebounds. Melvin Ejim got a double-double for the Cyclones on 10 points and 11 rebounds. The Buckeyes have now won 10 games straight. Iowa State wraps up the season with a 23-12 record. The Cyclones got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Kansas 88-73 in the Big 12 Tournament In the regular season, they finished fourth in the Big 12 with an 11-7 conference record. Iowa State defeated No. 7-seeded Notre Dame 76-58 in the second round. Ohio State (28-7, 13-5 Big Ten) faces off against No. 6-seeded Arizona (27-7, 12-6 Pac-12) in the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday, Mar. 28.
Ohio State Game Notes
- Ohio State started 28-7 during the 2011 and 2009 seasons (since 1996).
- The win over Iowa State extended the Ohio State winning streak to 10 games.
- The Buckeyes have won three close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Ohio State is 25-23 in close games.
- The Buckeyes have won every game this season (8-0) after recording 78 or more total points.
- Ohio State has won every game this season (6-0) when its three-point percentage has been 50.0 percent or better.
- Ohio State has won 87 percent of the time this season (13-2) after committing nine or fewer turnovers.
- OSU has won 96 percent of the time this season (26-1) when opponents record 23 or fewer field goals made.
- This season Ohio State has won 75 percent of the time (9-3) when Deshaun Thomas has 22 points or more, 100 percent of the time (4-0) when Sam Thompson plays 31 minutes or more, and 80 percent of the time (8-2) when Aaron Craft has five field goals made or more.
- OSU set a season low for rebounds (22).
- The Buckeyes have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past eight games.
- The top two scorers (Deshaun Thomas and Aaron Craft) accounted for 51.2 percent of the points.
- Deshaun Thomas has led the team in scoring 27 times and in rebounding 17 times in 35 games this season.
- This marks the 27th 20-point game of Deshaun Thomas's career.
- Deshaun Thomas has 35 straight double-digit point games.
Iowa State Game Notes
- The Cyclones have lost six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Iowa State is 22-27 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Korie Lucious and Will Clyburn) accounted for 48.0 percent of the points.
- Melvin Ejim accounted for 30.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Korie Lucious has led the team in scoring five times in 35 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim has led the team in rebounding 25 times in 35 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim recorded the 31st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Melvin Ejim has four straight double-digit point games.
- Melvin Ejim recorded a double-double. It was his 15th this season and 22nd of his career.
- Korie Lucious set a career high with five three-pointers.