Iowa State 75
(23-12, 4-7 away)
(7) Ohio State 78
(28-7, 16-2 home)
Venue: University of Dayton Arena
12:15PM ET / 9:15AM PT, March 24, 2013
||K Lucious 19
||M Ejim 11
||K Lucious 4
||D Thomas 22
||D Thomas 5
||A Craft 6
On Sunday, Mar. 24, No. 10-seeded Iowa State forced only nine turnovers and suffered a close loss to No. 2-seeded Ohio State 78-75 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. The Cyclones got a double-double out of Melvin Ejim with 10 points and 11 rebounds. Tyrus McGee also had a solid game, scoring 14 points and adding six rebounds. For the Buckeyes, Aaron Craft got 18 points. Iowa State closes out the season with a 23-12 record. The Cyclones got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Kansas 88-73 in the Big 12 Tournament. In the regular season, they finished fourth in the Big 12 with an 11-7 record in conference play. Iowa State topped No. 7-seeded Notre Dame 76-58 in the second round.
Iowa State Game Notes
- ISU beat the spread by four points. That makes the 17th time this season the Cyclones have beaten the spread.
- The Cyclones have been unlucky six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Iowa State is 22-27 in close games.
- Prior to this game, ISU played 38 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 6-32.
- Iowa State has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-4) after recording zero or fewer blocks.
- When the opposition records 19 or more free throws made this season, Iowa State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-7).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 51.0 percent or better this season, Iowa State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition records 78 or more total points this season, Iowa State has lost 92 percent of the time (1-11).
- ISU set a season low for blocks (zero).
- The Cyclones have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past 14 games.
- Iowa State has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past four games.
- The top two scorers (Korie Lucious and Will Clyburn) accounted for 48.0 percent of the points.
- Melvin Ejim accounted for 30.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Korie Lucious has led the team in scoring in five out of 35 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim has led the team in rebounding in 25 out of 35 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim recorded the 31st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Melvin Ejim has four straight double-digit point games.
- Melvin Ejim recorded a double-double. It was his 15th this season and 22nd of his career.
- Korie Lucious had a career high with five three-pointers.
Ohio State Game Notes
- The Buckeyes won this one, but have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Ohio State is 25-23 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Deshaun Thomas and Aaron Craft) accounted for 51.2 percent of the points.
- Deshaun Thomas has led the team in scoring 27 times and in rebounding 17 times in 35 games this season.
- This marks the 27th 20-point game of Deshaun Thomas's career.
- Deshaun Thomas has 35 straight double-digit point games.
|C||L. Smith Jr.||23||6||2||0||0||0||0|