St John's 50
(17-16, 5-8 away)
(23-11, 20-1 home)
Venue: John Paul Jones Arena
11:00AM ET / 8:00AM PT, March 24, 2013
||P Greene IV 18
||C Obekpa 10
||S Pointer 4
||J Anderson 18
||A Mitchell 9
||J Evans 5
On Sunday, Mar. 24, No. 1-seeded Virginia outshot No. 5-seeded St. John's 54.5 percent to 33.9 percent and thumped the Red Storm 68-50 in the second round of the NIT. The Cavaliers were led by Justin Anderson, who put up a season-high 18 points and four assists. Joe Harris got seven points and added five rebounds. For the Red Storm, Phil Greene IV got a team-high 18 points. St. John's wraps up the season with a 17-16 record. In the regular season, they finished 11th in the Big East with an 8-10 conference record. St. John's outplayed No. 4-seeded St. Joseph's (PA) 63-61 in the first round. Virginia (23-11, 11-7 ACC) faces off against No. 3-seeded Iowa (23-12, 9-9 Big Ten) in the quarterfinals on Wednesday, Mar. 27.
Virginia Game Notes
- UVA beat the spread by eight points. That makes the 19th time this season the Cavaliers have beaten the spread.
- The Cavaliers have won every game this season (5-0) after recording 19 or more assists.
- Virginia has won 86 percent of the time this season (6-1) when its field goal percentage has been 54.5 percent or better.
- UVA has won every game this season (9-0) when opponents record 50 or fewer total points.
- UVA has won every game this season (9-0) after holding an opponent to under 33.9 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Virginia has won 76 percent of the time (19-6) when Akil Mitchell has 11 points or more, 90 percent of the time (9-1) when Justin Anderson has four field goals made or more, and 71 percent of the time (10-4) when Joe Harris has five rebounds or more.
- This is the 21st game at home this season--UVA has a 16.6 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Justin Anderson and Taylor Barnette) accounted for 45.5 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Akil Mitchell and Joe Harris) accounted for 42.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Justin Anderson has led the team in scoring in four out of 34 games this season.
- Akil Mitchell has led the team in rebounding in 27 out of 34 games this season.
- Akil Mitchell has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Akil Mitchell had a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
St. John's Game Notes
- Phil Greene IV accounted for 36.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Chris Obekpa and JaKarr Sampson) accounted for 45.7 percent of the rebounds.
- Phil Greene IV has led the team in scoring five times in 33 games this season.
- Chris Obekpa has led the team in rebounding 10 times in 33 games this season.
- Phil Greene IV has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Chris Obekpa recorded the fifth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Chris Obekpa.
- JaKarr Sampson has eight straight double-digit point games.
|B||Phil Greene IV||36||18||0||1||0||0||0|