St John's 50
(17-16, 5-8 away)
(23-11, 20-1 home)
Venue: John Paul Jones Arena
11:00AM ET / 8:00AM PT, March 24, 2013
||P Greene IV 18
||C Obekpa 10
||S Pointer 4
||J Anderson 18
||A Mitchell 9
||J Evans 5
On Sunday, Mar. 24, No. 5-seeded St. John's was outshot 54.5 percent to 33.9 percent by No. 1-seeded Virginia and was destroyed by the Cavaliers 68-50 in the second round of the NIT. Phil Greene IV put up a team-high 18 points in 36 minutes in the Red Storm loss. JaKarr Sampson had 14 points and added six rebounds. For the Cavaliers, Justin Anderson got a season-high 18 points and four assists. St. John's closes out the season with a 17-16 record. In the regular season, they finished 11th in the Big East with an 8-10 record in conference play. St. John's topped No. 4-seeded St. Joseph's (PA) 63-61 in the first round.
St. John's Game Notes
- The last time SJU started the season 17-16 was 2009.
- St. John's has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-3) after recording 50 or fewer total points.
- The Red Storm have lost 80 percent of the time this season (1-4) after having a field goal percentage of 33.9 percent or worse.
- When the opposition records 19 or more assists this season, St. John's has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 15 or more free throws made this season, St. John's has lost 78 percent of the time (2-7).
- When the opposition records 68 or more total points this season, St. John's has lost 77 percent of the time (3-10).
- SJU set season lows for assists (seven) and blocks (two).
- St. John's has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past eight games.
- Phil Greene IV accounted for 36.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Chris Obekpa and JaKarr Sampson) accounted for 45.7 percent of the rebounds.
- Phil Greene IV has led the team in scoring in five out of 33 games this season.
- Chris Obekpa has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 33 games this season.
- Phil Greene IV has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Chris Obekpa recorded the fifth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Chris Obekpa.
- JaKarr Sampson has eight straight double-digit point games.
Virginia Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Justin Anderson and Taylor Barnette) accounted for 45.5 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Akil Mitchell and Joe Harris) accounted for 42.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Justin Anderson has led the team in scoring four times in 34 games this season.
- Akil Mitchell has led the team in rebounding 27 times in 34 games this season.
- Akil Mitchell has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Akil Mitchell set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
|B||Phil Greene IV||36||18||0||1||0||0||0|