|Maryland||D Wells 13.2||A Len 7.7||P Howard 3.7|
|Alabama||T Releford 15.1||R Cooper 4.5||T Lacey 3.1|
No. 1-seeded Alabama squares off against No. 2-seeded Maryland in the quarterfinals of the NIT at Coleman Coliseum on Tuesday. It gets started at 7:30 p.m. ET and you can see it on ESPN. The Crimson Tide last played the Terrapins on Nov. 17, 2011 and won 62-42.
The 16 points and six rebounds by Levi Randolph helped the Crimson Tide to a 66-54 victory over Stanford on Mar. 23. In addition to his 7.9 points per game, he is also chipping in 4.2 rebounds per game. For the Terrapins, Dezmine Wells finished with 19 points in the 62-52 win over Denver on Mar. 21. His 13.2 points per game is the highest mark on the team. Areas of strength for Maryland include: offensive rebounding percentage at 36.8 and defensive rebounding percentage at 72.3.
- The SEC has 4 teams - Arkansas (9.2), LSU (9.2), Alabama (8.8), and Ole Miss (8.5) - that create more steals per game than the ACC leader, North Carolina (8.3).
- Alabama has a better conference record than Maryland this season (12-6 vs. 8-10).
- The Alabama three-point leader (Trevor Lacey, 56 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Maryland three-point leader (Logan Aronhalt, 53 three-pointers).
- Since 1998, Alabama has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Maryland (14 vs. 10).
- Trevor Releford is ranked 50th nationally in steals.
- Alabama has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Maryland ($29,814 vs. $35,455).
- Last year the SEC had a better average team RPI than the ACC (76 vs. 95).
- Alabama embarrassed Maryland by 20 points the last time they played (Nov 17, 2011).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Alabama currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (984 to 970) than Maryland, per the NCAA.
- Alabama has a stronger schedule than Maryland this season (SOS Rank: No. 82 vs. No. 112).
- The Alabama scoring leader (Trevor Releford, 452 points) has more points than the Maryland scoring leader (Dezmine Wells, 400 points).