(21-12, 6-5 away)
(16) Syracuse 66
(28-9, 17-2 home)
Venue: HP Pavilion
9:50PM ET / 6:50PM PT, March 23, 2013
||R Solomon 22
||R Solomon 14
||J Cobbs 4
||C Fair 18
||J Southerland 9
||M Carter-Williams 3
No. 4-seeded Syracuse got a major victory over No. 12-seeded California 66-60 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, Mar. 23. James Southerland played well for the Orange and put up 14 points and nine rebounds. C.J. Fair also had a strong showing, scoring a team-high 18 points and adding six rebounds. Richard Solomon recorded a double-double for the Golden Bears with a career-high 22 points and 14 rebounds. California wraps up the season with a 21-12 record. The Golden Bears got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Utah 79-69 in the Pac-12 Tournament In the regular season, they finished third in the Pac-12 with a 12-6 conference record. California defeated No. 5-seeded UNLV 64-61 in the second round. Syracuse (28-9, 11-7 Big East) takes on No. 1-seeded Indiana (28-6, 14-4 Big Ten) in the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday, Mar. 28.
Syracuse Game Notes
- The last time SU started the season 28-9 was 2008.
- Syracuse has won 92 percent of the time this season (12-1) when its three-point percentage has been 40.0 percent or better.
- The Orange have won 86 percent of the time this season (12-2) after recording 10 or more steals.
- Syracuse has won 79 percent of the time this season (11-3) after committing 15 or fewer turnovers.
- SU has won every game this season (6-0) after holding an opponent to under 19.0 percent three-point percentage.
- SU has won 92 percent of the time this season (22-2) when opponents record 12 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Syracuse has won 71 percent of the time (15-6) when Michael Carter-Williams has 12 points or more, 73 percent of the time (8-3) when C.J. Fair plays 39 minutes or more, and 83 percent of the time (19-4) when James Southerland has four field goals made or more.
- The Orange set a season high for free throws made (26).
- The last time SU recorded at least 26 free throws made was Feb 19, 2011 against Rutgers.
- The Orange have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past six games.
- The top two scorers (C.J. Fair and James Southerland) accounted for 48.4 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (James Southerland and Baye Keita) accounted for 43.2 percent of the rebounds.
- C.J. Fair has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 37 games this season.
- James Southerland has led the team in rebounding in six out of 37 games this season.
- C.J. Fair has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the second foul out of the season for James Southerland.
California Game Notes
- Richard Solomon recorded a team season high in rebounds with 14.
- Richard Solomon accounted for 36.6 percent of the team's points.
- Richard Solomon accounted for 41.1 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Richard Solomon has led the team in rebounding 10 times in 33 games this season.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Richard Solomon's career.
- Richard Solomon recorded a double-double. It was his third this season and fourth of his career.
- Richard Solomon set career highs with 22 points, 14 rebounds, and nine defensive rebounds.