Wichita State 76
(28-8, 7-5 away)
(1) Gonzaga 70
(32-3, 15-1 home)
Venue: EnergySolutions Arena
8:45PM ET / 5:45PM PT, March 23, 2013
||C Early 16
||C Early 7
||R Baker 4
||K Olynyk 26
||M Hart 14
||K Pangos 5
No. 1-seeded Gonzaga was defeated by No. 9-seeded Wichita State 76-70 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, Mar. 23. Kelly Olynyk picked up his third straight game with 21 points or more for the Bulldogs, scoring a game-high 26 points in 38 minutes. Michael Hart also had a strong showing, scoring six points and adding 14 rebounds. Ron Baker finished with 16 points and six rebounds for the Shockers. Gonzaga closes out the season with a 32-3 record. The Bulldogs got to the NCAA Tournament as the West Coast champion after beating Saint Mary's 65-51 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the West Coast with a 16-0 record in conference play. Gonzaga defeated No. 16-seeded Southern University 64-58 in the second round.
Gonzaga Game Notes
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 50.0 percent or better this season, Gonzaga has lost 75 percent of the time (1-3).
- Zags set a season low for field goal percentage (35.6).
- The Bulldogs have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past five games.
- Kelly Olynyk recorded a team season high in field goals attempted with 22.
- Kelly Olynyk accounted for 37.1 percent of the team's points.
- Michael Hart accounted for 35.8 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Kelly Olynyk has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 35 games this season.
- This marks the 13th 20-point game of Kelly Olynyk's career.
- Kelly Olynyk has three straight 20+ point games.
- Kelly Olynyk had a career high with 10 free throws made.
- Michael Hart recorded the first double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Michael Hart had career highs with a 100 percent three-point percentage, 14 rebounds, seven offensive rebounds, and seven defensive rebounds.
Wichita State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker) accounted for 42.1 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker) accounted for 43.3 percent of the rebounds.
- Cleanthony Early has led the team in scoring 14 times and in rebounding nine times in 36 games this season.
- Carl Hall has six straight double-digit point games.
|A||Fred Van Vleet||20||13||1||3||1||0||1|