No. 9-seeded Wichita State beat No. 1-seeded Gonzaga 76-70 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, Mar. 23. Ron Baker had an impressive game for the Shockers and got 16 points and six rebounds. Cleanthony Early also had a solid game, scoring a team-high 16 points and adding seven rebounds. Kelly Olynyk got his third straight game with 21 points or more for the Bulldogs, scoring a game-high 26 points in 38 minutes. Gonzaga wraps up the season with a 32-3 record. The Bulldogs got to the NCAA Tournament as the West Coast champion after beating Saint Mary's 65-51 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the West Coast with a 16-0 conference record. Gonzaga defeated No. 16-seeded Southern University 64-58 in the second round. Wichita State (28-8, 12-6 Missouri Valley) goes up against No. 13-seeded La Salle (23-9, 11-5 A-10) in the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday, Mar. 28.
Wichita State Game Notes
- The last time WSU started the season 28-8 was 2010.
- WSU beat the spread by 12.5 points. That makes the 19th time this season the Shockers have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, WSU played 13 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 6-7.
- The Shockers have won 92 percent of the time this season (11-1) after recording 16 or more assists.
- Wichita State has won 80 percent of the time this season (8-2) after committing 15 or fewer turnovers.
- Wichita State has won 78 percent of the time this season (7-2) when its field goal percentage has been 50.0 percent or better.
- WSU has won every game this season (14-0) after holding an opponent to under 35.6 percent field goal percentage.
- WSU has won 86 percent of the time this season (19-3) when opponents record 21 or fewer field goals made.
- This season Wichita State has won 82 percent of the time (18-4) when Carl Hall has 10 points or more, 100 percent of the time (13-0) when Cleanthony Early has six field goals made or more, and 92 percent of the time (11-1) when Malcolm Armstead has five rebounds or more.
- The Shockers set season highs for three-pointers (14) and three-point percentage (50.0).
- The last time WSU recorded at least 14 three-pointers was Mar 08, 2003 against Bradley.
- The top two scorers (Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker) accounted for 42.1 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker) accounted for 43.3 percent of the rebounds.
- Cleanthony Early has led the team in scoring 14 times and in rebounding 9 times in 36 games this season.
- Carl Hall has six straight double-digit point games.
Gonzaga Game Notes
- Kelly Olynyk recorded a team season high in field goals attempted with 22.
- Kelly Olynyk accounted for 37.1 percent of the team's points.
- Michael Hart accounted for 35.8 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Kelly Olynyk has led the team in scoring 15 times in 35 games this season.
- This marks the 13th 20-point game of Kelly Olynyk's career.
- Kelly Olynyk has three straight 20+ point games.
- Kelly Olynyk set a career high with 10 free throws made.
- Michael Hart recorded the first double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Michael Hart set career highs with a 100 percent three-point percentage, 14 rebounds, seven offensive rebounds, and seven defensive rebounds.