(27-9, 7-4 away)
(15) Marquette 74
(25-8, 16-0 home)
Venue: Rupp Arena
8:03PM ET / 5:03PM PT, March 23, 2013
||R Clarke 24
||A Smith 8
||R Jones 3
||V Blue 29
||T Lockett 6
||J Cadougan 2
No. 6-seeded Butler was narrowly defeated by No. 3-seeded Marquette 74-72 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, Mar. 23. With the loss, the season series with Marquette is now tied at 1-1. Andrew Smith put up 17 points and eight rebounds in the Bulldogs loss. Rotnei Clarke was active from three-point range, going five for 12 on the way to a team-high 24 points. For the Golden Eagles, Vander Blue finished with a game-high 29 points and two rebounds. Butler closes out the season with a 27-9 record. The Bulldogs got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Saint Louis 67-56 in the A-10 Tournament. In the regular season, they finished fourth in the A-10 with an 11-5 record in conference play. Butler beat No. 11-seeded Bucknell 68-56 in the second round.
Butler Game Notes
- The last time Butler started the season 27-9 was 2010.
- The Bulldogs have been unlucky four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Butler is 43-25 in close games.
- Prior to this game, Butler played 24 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 11-13.
- When the opposition records 74 or more total points this season, Butler has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- The Bulldogs set a season high for blocks (eight).
- The last time Butler recorded at least eight blocks was Jan 21, 2012 against Loyola (Chicago).
- This is the third loss of the season where the Bulldogs opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- Rotnei Clarke accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Andrew Smith and Kameron Woods) accounted for 42.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Rotnei Clarke has led the team in scoring in 25 out of 36 games this season.
- Andrew Smith has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 36 games this season.
- This marks the 27th 20-point game of Rotnei Clarke's career.
- Rotnei Clarke has seven straight double-digit point games.
Marquette Game Notes
- The Golden Eagles won this one, but have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Marquette is 33-29 in close games.
- Vander Blue accounted for 39.1 percent of the team's points.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (15) than the starters (13).
- Vander Blue has led the team in scoring 18 times in 33 games this season.
- Trent Lockett has led the team in rebounding nine times in 33 games this season.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of Vander Blue's career.
- Vander Blue has five straight double-digit point games.
- Vander Blue set career highs with three three-pointers and four steals.
- Jamil Wilson has seven straight double-digit point games.
|-||S. Taylor Jr.||4||0||3||0||0||0||0|