(27-9, 7-4 away)
(15) Marquette 74
(25-8, 16-0 home)
Venue: Rupp Arena
8:03PM ET / 5:03PM PT, March 23, 2013
||R Clarke 24
||A Smith 8
||R Jones 3
||V Blue 29
||T Lockett 6
||J Cadougan 2
No. 3-seeded Marquette squared off with No. 6-seeded Butler on Saturday, Mar. 23 and won by a slim margin against the Bulldogs 74-72 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. With the win, the Golden Eagles tied the season series against Butler at 1-1. The Golden Eagles got the win with a game-high 29 points and two rebounds from Vander Blue. Trent Lockett also had a solid game, scoring 13 points and adding six rebounds. For the Bulldogs, Andrew Smith got 17 points and eight rebounds. Butler wraps up the season with a 27-9 record. The Bulldogs got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Saint Louis 67-56 in the A-10 Tournament In the regular season, they finished fourth in the A-10 with an 11-5 conference record. Butler took down No. 11-seeded Bucknell 68-56 in the second round. Marquette (25-8, 14-4 Big East) faces off against No. 2-seeded Miami (FL) (28-6, 15-3 ACC) in the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday, Mar. 28.
Marquette Game Notes
- The Golden Eagles have won eight close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Marquette is 33-29 in close games.
- The Golden Eagles have won every game this season (12-0) after recording 74 or more total points.
- Marquette has won every game this season (6-0) when its three-point percentage has been 41.7 percent or better.
- Marquette has won 91 percent of the time this season (21-2) when opponents record 13 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Marquette has won 73 percent of the time (8-3) when Jamil Wilson has 13 points or more and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Trent Lockett has four field goals made or more.
- The Golden Eagles have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past five games.
- This is the fourth win of the season where the Golden Eagles came back after being down at halftime.
- Vander Blue accounted for 39.1 percent of the team's points.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (15) than the starters (13).
- Vander Blue has led the team in scoring in 18 out of 33 games this season.
- Trent Lockett has led the team in rebounding in nine out of 33 games this season.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of Vander Blue's career.
- Vander Blue has five straight double-digit point games.
- Vander Blue had career highs with three three-pointers and four steals.
- Jamil Wilson has seven straight double-digit point games.
Butler Game Notes
- The Bulldogs have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Butler is 43-25 in close games.
- Rotnei Clarke accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Andrew Smith and Kameron Woods) accounted for 42.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Rotnei Clarke has led the team in scoring 25 times in 36 games this season.
- Andrew Smith has led the team in rebounding 11 times in 36 games this season.
- This marks the 27th 20-point game of Rotnei Clarke's career.
- Rotnei Clarke has seven straight double-digit point games.
|-||S. Taylor Jr.||4||0||3||0||0||0||0|