On Saturday, Mar. 23, No. 6-seeded Memphis shot just 29.7 percent from the field and was trounced by No. 3-seeded Michigan State 70-48 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. The Tigers were led by Geron Johnson, who put up a team-high 16 points and four rebounds. Joe Jackson had 12 points and added seven rebounds. Adreian Payne recorded a double-double for the Spartans on 14 points and 10 rebounds. Memphis closes out the season with a 31-5 record. The Tigers got to the NCAA Tournament as the Conference USA champion after beating Southern Miss 91-79 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in Conference USA with a 16-0 record in conference play. Memphis defeated No. 11-seeded Saint Mary's 54-52 in the second round.
Memphis Game Notes
- Prior to this game, Memphis played 23 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 7-16.
- Memphis set season lows for assists (eight), field goal percentage (29.7), free throws made (five), and total points (48).
- The Tigers have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past seven games.
- Geron Johnson accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Joe Jackson and D.J. Stephens) accounted for 44.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Geron Johnson has led the team in scoring in six out of 36 games this season.
- Joe Jackson has led the team in rebounding in three out of 36 games this season.
- Joe Jackson has three straight double-digit point games.
Michigan State Game Notes
- Adreian Payne recorded a team season high in blocks with five.
- Gary Harris accounted for 32.8 percent of the team's points.
- Gary Harris has led the team in scoring 11 times in 35 games this season.
- Adreian Payne has led the team in rebounding 17 times in 35 games this season.
- Adreian Payne recorded the 12th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Adreian Payne recorded a double-double. It was his eighth this season and ninth of his career.
- Adreian Payne set a career high with five blocks.
- Derrick Nix has three straight double-digit point games.
- Derrick Nix set a career high with four steals.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Gary Harris's career.