(19) Memphis 48
(31-5, 9-1 away)
(9) Michigan State 70
(27-8, 17-1 home)
Venue: The Palace of Auburn Hills
2:45PM ET / 11:45AM PT, March 23, 2013
||G Johnson 16
||J Jackson 7
||J Jackson 3
||G Harris 23
||A Payne 10
||D Valentine 6
On Saturday, Mar. 23, No. 3-seeded Michigan State held No. 6-seeded Memphis to just 29.7 percent from the floor and won big over the Tigers 70-48 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Adreian Payne secured a double-double for the Spartans with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Derrick Nix had 13 points and added eight rebounds. Geron Johnson got a team-high 16 points and four rebounds for the Tigers. Memphis wraps up the season with a 31-5 record. The Tigers got to the NCAA Tournament as the Conference USA champion after beating Southern Miss 91-79 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in Conference USA with a 16-0 conference record. Memphis took down No. 11-seeded Saint Mary's 54-52 in the second round. Michigan State (27-8, 13-5 Big Ten) plays No. 2-seeded Duke (28-5, 14-4 ACC) in the Sweet Sixteen on Friday, Mar. 29.
Michigan State Game Notes
- Michigan State started 27-8 during the 2009 and 2007 seasons (since 1996).
- MSU beat the spread by 16.5 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Spartans have beaten the spread.
- This was the seventh blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, MSU has been on the winning end of 38 blowout games.
- Prior to this game, MSU played 70 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 36-34.
- Michigan State has won every game this season (9-0) when its field goal percentage has been 50.0 percent or better.
- The Spartans have won 93 percent of the time this season (14-1) after recording 70 or more total points.
- MSU has won every game this season (6-0) when opponents record 48 or fewer total points.
- MSU has won every game this season (8-0) after holding an opponent to under 29.7 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Michigan State has won 73 percent of the time (8-3) when Adreian Payne has 14 points or more, 83 percent of the time (10-2) when Branden Dawson plays 31 minutes or more, and 82 percent of the time (9-2) when Derrick Nix has five field goals made or more.
- The Spartans have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past four games.
- Michigan State has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past six games.
- Adreian Payne recorded a team season high in blocks with five.
- Gary Harris accounted for 32.8 percent of the team's points.
- Gary Harris has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 35 games this season.
- Adreian Payne has led the team in rebounding in 17 out of 35 games this season.
- Adreian Payne recorded the 12th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Adreian Payne recorded a double-double. It was his eighth this season and ninth of his career.
- Adreian Payne had a career high with five blocks.
- Derrick Nix has three straight double-digit point games.
- Derrick Nix had a career high with four steals.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Gary Harris's career.
Memphis Game Notes
- Geron Johnson accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Joe Jackson and D.J. Stephens) accounted for 44.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Geron Johnson has led the team in scoring six times in 36 games this season.
- Joe Jackson has led the team in rebounding three times in 36 games this season.
- Joe Jackson has three straight double-digit point games.