On Saturday, Mar. 23, No. 4-seeded Michigan blew out No. 5-seeded Virginia Commonwealth 78-53 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Mitch McGary got a season-high 21 points and 14 rebounds for the Wolverines, earning a double-double. Glenn Robinson III had 14 points and added nine rebounds. For the Rams, Juvonte Reddic got a team-high 16 points and three rebounds. Virginia Commonwealth wraps up the season with a 27-9 record. The Rams got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Saint Louis 62-56 in the A-10 Tournament In the regular season, they finished first in the A-10 with a 12-4 conference record. Virginia Commonwealth topped No. 12-seeded Akron 88-42 in the second round. Michigan (28-7, 12-6 Big Ten) takes on No. 1-seeded Kansas (30-5, 14-4 Big 12) in the Sweet Sixteen on Friday, Mar. 29.
Michigan Game Notes
- Michigan beat the spread by 22 points. That makes the 17th time this season the Wolverines have beaten the spread.
- This was the 10th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, Michigan has been on the winning end of 30 blowout games.
- The Wolverines have won every game this season (10-0) after recording 41 or more rebounds.
- Michigan has won 90 percent of the time this season (9-1) when its field goal percentage has been 51.7 percent or better.
- Michigan has won every game this season (7-0) when opponents record 53 or fewer total points.
- Michigan has won 93 percent of the time this season (14-1) after holding an opponent to under 39.7 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Michigan has won 76 percent of the time (19-6) when Trey Burke has 18 points or more, 82 percent of the time (18-4) when Nik Stauskas plays 31 minutes or more, and 75 percent of the time (18-6) when Tim Hardaway Jr has five field goals made or more.
- Michigan set a season low for blocks (zero).
- Mitch McGary recorded a team season high in rebounds with 14.
- The top two scorers (Mitch McGary and Trey Burke) accounted for 50.0 percent of the points.
- Mitch McGary accounted for 34.1 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Mitch McGary has led the team in rebounding in 13 out of 35 games this season.
- Tim Hardaway Jr has six straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Mitch McGary's career.
- Mitch McGary recorded a double-double. It was the third of his career.
Virginia Commonwealth Game Notes
- Juvonte Reddic accounted for 30.1 percent of the team's points.
- Juvonte Reddic has led the team in scoring 11 times in 36 games this season.
- Juvonte Reddic has four straight double-digit point games.