Iowa State vs. Ohio State: Full Game Preview
|Iowa State||W Clyburn 14.9||M Ejim 9.3||K Lucious 5.6|
|Ohio State||D Thomas 19.6||D Thomas 6.1||A Craft 4.7|
No. 2-seeded Ohio State matches up against 10th-seeded Iowa State in the third round of the NCAA Tournament at University of Dayton Arena on Sunday. Tipoff is at 12:15 p.m. ET and you can see it on CBS. The Buckeyes have not played the Cyclones since the 2006-07 season, when they won 75-56.
The 24 points by Deshaun Thomas helped the Buckeyes to a 95-70 cakewalk over Iona on Mar. 22. On top of his scoring average of 19.6 points per game, he delivers 6.1 rebounds per game. In a 76-58 blowout of Notre Dame on Mar. 22, Melvin Ejim put up 17 points and eight rebounds for the Cyclones. He is averaging 11.3 points per game in addition to a team-best 9.3 rebounds per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Iowa State is strong in effective field goal percentage at 53.7. This is good enough for first in the conference and 23rd in the nation.
Iowa State StatSmack
- The Big Ten has 2 teams - Indiana (48.8 percent) and Michigan (48.7 percent) - that shoot a better field goal percentage than the Big 12 leader, Kansas (47.3 percent).
- The Big Ten has 2 teams - Indiana (41.8 percent) and Michigan (38.8 percent) - that shoot a better three-point percentage than the Big 12 leader, Iowa State (37.7 percent).
- Ohio State has an average margin of victory of 11 over Iowa State in three wins since 1984.
- Ohio State has a better conference record than Iowa State this season (13-5 vs. 11-7).
- Even computers respect Ohio State more. Ohio State has a better RPI this season than Iowa State (RPI: No. 14 vs. No. 49).
- Ohio State has more Final Four appearances over the last 10 years than Iowa State (two vs. zero).
- Since 1998, Ohio State has recruited more Top 10 high school players than Iowa State (three vs. zero).
- The top-ranking players between the two conferences for points, field goals made, free throws made, and assists are in the Big Ten.
- Ohio State has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Iowa State (six vs. two).
- A for effort, but Ohio State has emerged victorious against Iowa State the last three times they've played.
- Ohio State has a much better NCSA Power Ranking than Iowa State (No. 53 vs. No. 70).
|B||L. Smith Jr.||28||10||5||2||0||0||1|
|C||A. Della Valle||7||3||2||0||0||0||0|