No. 7-seeded Notre Dame forced only six turnovers and was destroyed by No. 10-seeded Iowa State 76-58 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday, Mar. 22. The Fighting Irish got 14 points and five rebounds from Jack Cooley. Tom Knight had 14 points and added three rebounds. For the Cyclones, Melvin Ejim got 17 points and eight rebounds. Notre Dame closes out the season with a 25-10 record. The Fighting Irish got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Louisville 69-57 in the Big East Tournament. In the regular season, they finished sixth in the Big East with an 11-7 record in conference play.
Notre Dame Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 7:58 left to go.
- Notre Dame has lost 78 percent of the time this season (2-7) after recording 58 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 49.2 percent or better this season, Notre Dame has lost 100 percent of the time (0-5).
- ND set season lows for assists (nine) and steals (two).
- The Fighting Irish have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past four games.
- Notre Dame has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past five games.
- The top two scorers (Jack Cooley and Tom Knight) accounted for 48.2 percent of the points.
- Jack Cooley has led the team in scoring in 13 out of 35 games this season.
Iowa State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Georges Niang and Melvin Ejim) accounted for 47.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Melvin Ejim and Chris Babb) accounted for 48.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Georges Niang has led the team in scoring five times in 34 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim has led the team in rebounding 24 times in 34 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim has three straight double-digit point games.
- Melvin Ejim set a career high with five assists.
- Georges Niang has seven straight double-digit point games.