Iowa State 76
(23-11, 4-7 away)
(23) Notre Dame 58
(25-10, 17-2 home)
Venue: University of Dayton Arena
9:59PM ET / 6:59PM PT, March 22, 2013
||G Niang 19
||M Ejim 8
||M Ejim 5
||T Knight 14
||Z Auguste 7
||E Atkins 2
On an evening when they had only six turnovers, No. 10-seeded Iowa State easily got past No. 7-seeded Notre Dame 76-58 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Cyclones were led by Melvin Ejim, who got 17 points and eight rebounds. Georges Niang had a game-high 19 points and added four assists. Jack Cooley got 14 points and five rebounds for the Fighting Irish. Notre Dame wraps up the season with a 25-10 record. The Fighting Irish got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Louisville 69-57 in the Big East Tournament In the regular season, they finished sixth in the Big East with an 11-7 conference record. Iowa State (23-11, 11-7 Big 12) takes on No. 2-seeded Ohio State (27-7, 13-5 Big Ten) in the third round on Sunday, Mar. 24.
Iowa State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 7:58 left to go.
- ISU beat the spread by 19 points. That makes the 16th time this season the Cyclones have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, ISU played 37 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 5-32.
- The Cyclones have won every game this season (7-0) after recording 19 or more assists.
- Iowa State has won 92 percent of the time this season (11-1) when its field goal percentage has been 49.2 percent or better.
- ISU has won 90 percent of the time this season (9-1) after holding an opponent to under 23.5 percent three-point percentage.
- ISU has won 88 percent of the time this season (7-1) when opponents record 22 or fewer field goals made.
- This season Iowa State has won 75 percent of the time (18-6) when Melvin Ejim has eight rebounds or more and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Georges Niang has four assists or more.
- ISU set a season low for rebounds (27).
- The Cyclones have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past 13 games.
- The top two scorers (Georges Niang and Melvin Ejim) accounted for 47.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Melvin Ejim and Chris Babb) accounted for 48.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Georges Niang has led the team in scoring in five out of 34 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim has led the team in rebounding in 24 out of 34 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim has three straight double-digit point games.
- Melvin Ejim had a career high with five assists.
- Georges Niang has seven straight double-digit point games.
Notre Dame Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Jack Cooley and Tom Knight) accounted for 48.2 percent of the points.
- Jack Cooley has led the team in scoring 13 times in 35 games this season.