On a night when they scored 33 points from behind the arc, No. 8-seeded North Carolina knocked off No. 9-seeded Villanova 78-71 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Tar Heels got a game-high 23 points (5 Reb 3 Ast 3 Stl) from P.J. Hairston, with 15 points coming from three-point range. Marcus Paige had 14 points and added four assists (3 Reb 3 Stl). For the Wildcats, Darrun Hilliard got 18 points and six rebounds. Villanova wraps up the season with a 20-14 record. The Wildcats got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Louisville 74-55 in the Big East Tournament In the regular season, they finished seventh in the Big East with a 10-8 conference record. North Carolina (25-10, 12-6 ACC) plays No. 1-seeded Kansas (29-5, 14-4 Big 12) in the third round on Sunday, Mar. 24.
North Carolina Game Notes
- UNC beat the spread by three points. That makes the 20th time this season the Tar Heels have beaten the spread.
- North Carolina has won every game this season (4-0) when its three-point percentage has been 52.4 percent or better.
- The Tar Heels have won 95 percent of the time this season (18-1) after recording 78 or more total points.
- North Carolina has won 80 percent of the time this season (4-1) after committing 17 or fewer turnovers.
- UNC has won every game this season (11-0) when opponents record four or fewer three-pointers.
- UNC has won every game this season (6-0) after holding an opponent to under 19.0 percent three-point percentage.
- This season North Carolina has won 82 percent of the time (14-3) when Reggie Bullock has 15 points or more, 73 percent of the time (8-3) when Marcus Paige plays 32 minutes or more, and 88 percent of the time (14-2) when James Michael McAdoo has six field goals made or more.
- UNC set a season low for rebounds (28).
- The top two scorers (P.J. Hairston and James Michael McAdoo) accounted for 51.2 percent of the points.
- P.J. Hairston has led the team in scoring 10 times and in rebounding 4 times in 35 games this season.
- Reggie Bullock has four straight double-digit point games.
- James Michael McAdoo has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of P.J. Hairston's career.
- P.J. Hairston has 14 straight double-digit point games.
Villanova Game Notes
- The top two scorers (JayVaughn Pinkston and Darrun Hilliard) accounted for 53.5 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (JayVaughn Pinkston and Mouphtaou Yarou) accounted for 43.2 percent of the rebounds.
- JayVaughn Pinkston has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding eight times in 34 games this season.
- Darrun Hilliard set a career high with eight field goals made.
- Mouphtaou Yarou has three straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of JayVaughn Pinkston's career.
- JayVaughn Pinkston has 12 straight double-digit point games.