(20-14, 6-7 away)
North Carolina 78
(25-10, 14-2 home)
Venue: Sprint Center
7:20PM ET / 4:20PM PT, March 22, 2013
||J Pinkston 20
||J Pinkston 8
||R Arcidiacono 3
||P Hairston 23
||P Hairston 5
||R Bullock 4
In a game where the Tar Heels scored 33 points from beyond the three-point line, No. 9-seeded Villanova came up short against No. 8-seeded North Carolina 78-71 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Wildcats got 18 points and six rebounds from Darrun Hilliard. Mouphtaou Yarou had 17 points and added eight rebounds. For the Tar Heels, P.J. Hairston finished with a game-high 23 points (5 Reb 3 Ast 3 Stl), including five-of-eight shooting from three-point range. Villanova closes out the season with a 20-14 record. The Wildcats got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Louisville 74-55 in the Big East Tournament. In the regular season, they finished seventh in the Big East with a 10-8 record in conference play.
Villanova Game Notes
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 52.4 percent or better this season, Villanova has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition records 10 or more steals this season, Villanova has lost 80 percent of the time (2-8).
- When the opposition records 11 or more three-pointers this season, Villanova has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- Villanova set a season low for assists (six).
- The top two scorers (JayVaughn Pinkston and Darrun Hilliard) accounted for 53.5 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (JayVaughn Pinkston and Mouphtaou Yarou) accounted for 43.2 percent of the rebounds.
- JayVaughn Pinkston has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 8 times in 34 games this season.
- Darrun Hilliard had a career high with eight field goals made.
- Mouphtaou Yarou has three straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of JayVaughn Pinkston's career.
- JayVaughn Pinkston has 12 straight double-digit point games.
North Carolina Game Notes
- The top two scorers (P.J. Hairston and James Michael McAdoo) accounted for 51.2 percent of the points.
- P.J. Hairston has led the team in scoring 10 times and in rebounding four times in 35 games this season.
- Reggie Bullock has four straight double-digit point games.
- James Michael McAdoo has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of P.J. Hairston's career.
- P.J. Hairston has 14 straight double-digit point games.