On Friday, Mar. 22, No. 15-seeded Iona was easily defeated by No. 2-seeded Ohio State 95-70 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Gaels got 17 points and six rebounds (4 Ast 3 Stl) from Sean Armand. Tavon Sledge had a career-high 20 points and added three rebounds. Sam Thompson got a double-double for the Buckeyes on a career-high 20 points and 10 rebounds. Iona closes out the season with a 20-14 record. The Gaels got to the NCAA Tournament as the MAAC champion after beating Manhattan 60-57 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished fourth in the MAAC with an 11-7 record in conference play.
Iona Game Notes
- Prior to this game, Iona played six Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 0-6.
- The Gaels have lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-3) after having a three-point percentage of 21.4 percent or worse.
- When the opposition records 95 or more total points this season, Iona has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition records 44 or more rebounds this season, Iona has lost 83 percent of the time (1-5).
- When the opposition records 20 or more free throws made this season, Iona has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- The Gaels set a season high for turnovers (19).
- The last time Iona recorded at least 19 turnovers was Dec 29, 2011 against Hofstra.
- The top two scorers (Tavon Sledge and Sean Armand) accounted for 52.8 percent of the points.
- Taaj Ridley has led the team in rebounding in eight out of 34 games this season.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Tavon Sledge's career.
- David Laury has six straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for David Laury.
Ohio State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Deshaun Thomas and Sam Thompson) accounted for 46.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Sam Thompson and LaQuinton Ross) accounted for 40.9 percent of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (22) than the starters (19).
- Deshaun Thomas has led the team in scoring 26 times in 34 games this season.
- This marks the 26th 20-point game of Deshaun Thomas's career.
- Deshaun Thomas has 34 straight double-digit point games.
- Deshaun Thomas set a career high with a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Sam Thompson's career.
- Sam Thompson recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- Sam Thompson set career highs with 20 points, 10 rebounds, and seven defensive rebounds.
- This game was the second double-digit assist game of Shannon Scott's career.
- Shannon Scott set a career high with 10 assists.