VCU vs. Michigan: Full Game Preview
|VCU||T Graham 15.2||J Reddic 8.2||D Theus 4.9|
|Michigan||T Burke 18.8||M McGary 5.6||T Burke 6.7|
No. 4-seeded Michigan battles No. 5-seeded Virginia Commonwealth in the third round of the NCAA Tournament at The Palace of Auburn Hills on Saturday. The game tips off at 12:15 p.m. ET and you can see it on CBS.
In their last outing, behind 21 points from Tim Hardaway Jr, the Wolverines defeated South Dakota State 71-56 on Mar. 21. While contributing 4.7 rebounds per game, he also scores 15.0 points per game. For the Rams, Troy Daniels finished with 23 points and five rebounds in the 88-42 blowout of Akron on Mar. 21. He contributes 3.1 rebounds per game in addition to his 12.4 points per game. Virginia Commonwealth will hope to exploit their strengths, which include: turnover percentage at 16.9 and offensive rebounding percentage at 37.1.
Virginia Commonwealth StatSmack
- Michigan has more wins against the RPI Top 50 than Virginia Commonwealth this season (eight vs. three).
- AP voters think more highly of Michigan and ranked them in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Virginia Commonwealth (52 vs. 15).
- The Big Ten has 2 teams - Indiana (41.8 percent) and Michigan (38.6 percent) - that shoot a better three-point percentage than the A-10 leader, Dayton (38.4 percent).
- The Big Ten has had 13 more Sweet Sixteen teams than the A-10 over the past 10 years.
- The Big Ten has 4 teams - Iowa (39.8), Purdue (39.3), Minnesota (38.9), and Indiana (38.9) - that secure more rebounds per game than the A-10 leader, George Washington (37.6).
- Diaper Dandies love Michigan. Michigan has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Virginia Commonwealth (17 vs. 2).
- Michigan is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Michigan is 204 lbs compared to 199 lbs for Virginia Commonwealth.
- The Michigan assist leader (Trey Burke, 215 assists) has more assists than the Virginia Commonwealth assist leader (Darius Theus, 147 assists).
- Trey Burke is ranked 17th nationally in points and 9th nationally in assists.
|B+||Tim Hardaway Jr||34||15||5||2||1||1||2|
|B+||G. Robinson III||33||11||5||1||1||0||1|