Wichita State vs. Gonzaga: Full Game Preview
|Wichita State||C Early 13.8||C Hall 7.1||M Armstead 4.0|
|Gonzaga||K Olynyk 17.6||E Harris 7.5||D Stockton 3.4|
No. 1-seeded Gonzaga battles No. 9-seeded Wichita State in the third round of the NCAA Tournament at EnergySolutions Arena on Saturday. The game gets underway at 8:40 p.m. ET and it can be seen on TNT. The Bulldogs have not played the Shockers since the 1994-95 season, when they lost 54-53.
In a 64-58 triumph over Southern University on Mar. 21, Kelly Olynyk put up 21 points and 10 rebounds for the Bulldogs. With 17.6 points per game and 1.1 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. In a 73-55 blowout of Pittsburgh on Mar. 21, Malcolm Armstead put up 22 points and five assists for the Shockers. With 4.0 assists per game and 1.9 steals per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Gonzaga appears to have a key statistical advantage over Wichita State in one area, scoring, where the Bulldogs have an edge over the Shockers, 77.2 points per game to 69.5 points per game. Areas of strength for Wichita State include: defensive rebounding percentage at 74.5 and offensive rebounding percentage at 37.9.
Wichita State StatSmack
- AP voters think more highly of Gonzaga and ranked them in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Wichita State (147 vs. 16).
- Gonzaga has a stronger schedule than Wichita State this season (SOS Rank: No. 90 vs. No. 104).
- The Gonzaga scoring leader (Kelly Olynyk, 524 points) has more points than the Wichita State scoring leader (Cleanthony Early, 463 points).
- Gonzaga has a better record on the road than Wichita State this season (10-1 vs. 7-5).
- Gonzaga has a better conference record than Wichita State this season (16-0 vs. 12-6).
- It's only wins and losses, but Gonzaga has a better overall record than Wichita State this season (31-2 vs. 26-8).
- Gonzaga has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Wichita State (10 vs. two).
- Even computers respect Gonzaga more. Gonzaga has a better RPI this season than Wichita State (RPI: No. 9 vs. No. 43).
- Gonzaga has more wins against the RPI Top 50 than Wichita State this season (six vs. three).
- Over the past 10 years, Gonzaga has had more players drafted by the NBA than Wichita State (five vs. zero).
- Gonzaga has a better record in close games than Wichita State this season (5-1 vs. 5-5).
|C||Fred Van Vleet||16||4||2||2||1||0||1|
|C-||Guy Landry Edi||11||3||2||0||0||0||1|