|St John's||D Harrison 17.8||J Sampson 6.6||S Pointer 2.8|
|Virginia||J Harris 16.7||A Mitchell 9.0||J Evans 4.9|
No. 1-seeded Virginia meets No. 5-seeded St. John's in the second round of the NIT at John Paul Jones Arena on Sunday. The game tips off at 11 p.m. ET and you can catch it on ESPN. The Cavaliers have not played the Red Storm since the 2002-03 season, when they lost 73-63.
In a 67-56 win over Norfolk State on Mar. 19, Justin Anderson put up 15 points and five rebounds for the Cavaliers. He is putting up 6.8 points per game while also averaging 3.3 rebounds per game. For the Red Storm, Sir`Dominic Pointer finished with 15 points and seven rebounds in the 63-61 win over St. Joseph's (PA) on Mar. 19. He is averaging 7.0 points per game in addition to a team-best 2.8 assists per game. One category in which St. John's is especially proficient is turnover percentage at 16.6, ranking first in their conference (and 19th nationally).
St. John's StatSmack
- The top-ranking players between the two conferences for points, field goals made, free throws made, and three-pointers are in the ACC.
- Last year the ACC had fewer blowout games in conference (meaning there is greater parity within the conference) than in the Big East.
- Virginia has a much better NCSA Athletic Ranking than St. John's (No. 3 vs. No. 117).
- Be afraid. Virginia has blown out more teams than St. John's this season (six blowouts vs. one).
- Virginia is a better shooting team (45.9 percent vs. 41.6 percent) than St. John's this season.
- Virginia allows fewer rebounds (30.0 allowed per game vs. 40.4 allowed per game) than St. John's this season.
- Virginia is ranked higher than St. John's in their conference (No. 4 vs. No. 11).
- Akil Mitchell is ranked 43rd nationally in rebounds.
- Even computers respect Virginia more. Virginia has a better RPI this season than St. John's (RPI: No. 69 vs. No. 85).
- Charlottesville isn't as congested as New York (population is significantly lower).
- Since 1998, Virginia has recruited more Top 50 high school players than St. John's (nine vs. eight).
|B-||Phil Greene IV||33||10||3||3||1||0||1|