|Louisiana Tech||R Appleby 14.8||M Kyser 5.2||K Smith 5.2|
|Southern Miss||D Davis 16.4||J Mills 7.9||N Watson 4.9|
No. 1-seeded Southern Miss takes on No. 5-seeded Louisiana Tech in the second round of the NIT at Reed Green Coliseum on Monday. The game gets underway at 10 p.m. ET and you can see it on ESPN U. The Golden Eagles fell to the Bulldogs 65-55 on Dec. 8 and are 1-2 against them over the last four years.
The Golden Eagles got past Charleston Southern 78-71 on Mar. 20 with the help of 16 points and nine rebounds from Jonathan Mills. On top of a team-high 7.9 rebounds per game, he also scores 9.4 points per game. In a 71-66 victory over Florida State on Mar. 19, Alex Hamilton put up 16 points for the Bulldogs. He contributes 2.6 assists per game in addition to his 7.5 points per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Louisiana Tech is strong in turnover percentage at 17.3. This is good enough for first in the conference and 37th in the nation.
Louisiana Tech StatSmack
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Southern Miss currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (922 to 908) than Louisiana Tech, per the NCAA.
- The Southern Miss three-point leader (Jerrold Brooks, 61 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Louisiana Tech three-point leader (Kenyon McNeail, 49 three-pointers).
- Southern Miss has more wins over the last 5 years than Louisiana Tech (124 vs. 101).
- Conference USA performed much better in non-conference close games than the WAC (70.5 percent vs. 42.9 percent).
- Conference USA has a much better average team RPI than the WAC (145 vs. 172).
- Last year Conference USA had a better conference RPI than the WAC (No. 9 vs. No. 12).
- Conference USA had fewer blowout games in conference (meaning there is greater parity within the conference) than in the WAC.
- Conference USA has had six more Sweet Sixteen teams than the WAC over the past 10 years.
- Conference USA has had a better winning percentage in the NCAA Tournament over the past 5 years (46.6 vs. 0.0).
- Conference USA has 4 teams - Houston (78.4), East Carolina (77.2), Memphis (74.9), and Southern Miss (73.7) - that score more per game than the WAC leader, Louisiana Tech (73.5).