Louisiana Tech vs. Southern Miss: Full Game Preview
|Louisiana Tech||R Appleby 14.8||M Kyser 5.2||K Smith 5.2|
|Southern Miss||D Davis 16.4||J Mills 7.9||N Watson 4.9|
No. 5-seeded Louisiana Tech squares off against No. 1-seeded Southern Miss in the second round of the NIT at Reed Green Coliseum on Monday. It takes place at 10 p.m. ET and you can catch it on ESPN U. The Bulldogs beat the Golden Eagles 65-55 on Dec. 8 and are 2-1 against them over the last four years.
In a 71-66 triumph over Florida State on Mar. 19, Raheem Appleby put up 27 points for the Bulldogs. He leads the team with 14.8 points per game. For the Golden Eagles, Jonathan Mills finished with 16 points and nine rebounds in the 78-71 win over Charleston Southern on Mar. 20. He is averaging 9.4 points per game in addition to a team-best 7.9 rebounds per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Southern Miss is strong in the following categories: offensive rebounding percentage at 39.9 and effective field goal percentage at 54.7.
Southern Miss StatSmack
- Louisiana Tech has a better conference record than Southern Miss this season (16-2 vs. 12-4).
- The worst team in the WAC has a higher RPI than the worst team in Conference USA (No. 302 vs. No. 321).
- Louisiana Tech is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Louisiana Tech is 76.5 inches compared to 75.4 inches for Southern Miss.
- Kenneth Smith is ranked 47th nationally in assists.
- Louisiana Tech has an average margin of victory of 7 over Southern Miss in three wins since 1980.
- Louisiana Tech has a better record in close games than Southern Miss this season (5-0 vs. 8-2).
- Over the past 10 years, Louisiana Tech has had more players drafted by the NBA than Southern Miss (two vs. zero).
- Michale Kyser is ranked 17th nationally in blocks.
- Boom! Louisiana Tech crushed Southern Miss by 10 points the last time they played (Dec 08, 2012).
- Louisiana Tech is ranked higher than Southern Miss in their conference (No. 1 vs. No. 2).