Butler vs. Marquette: Full Game Preview
|Butler||R Clarke 16.7||A Smith 6.0||R Jones 3.5|
|Marquette||V Blue 14.4||T Lockett 4.9||J Cadougan 4.0|
No. 6-seeded Butler battles No. 3-seeded Marquette in the third round of the NCAA Tournament at Rupp Arena on Saturday. Tipoff occurs at 7:45 p.m. ET and you can catch it on CBS. The Bulldogs defeated the Golden Eagles 72-71 on Nov. 19.
In a 68-56 triumph over Bucknell on Mar. 21, Rotnei Clarke put up 16 points for the Bulldogs. With 16.7 points per game, he leads the team in scoring average. For the Golden Eagles, Chris Otule put up 11 points and 11 rebounds in the 59-58 win over Davidson on Mar. 21. He is averaging 5.1 points per game and leads the team in blocks with 1.0 per game. Marquette ranks second in their conference in free throw rate at 41.1, which also places them 43rd in the country.
- Boom! Butler defeated Marquette by 1 point the last time they played (Nov 19, 2012).
- The A-10 has 4 teams - Dayton (38.3 percent), Richmond (38.1 percent), St. Bonaventure (37.5 percent), and La Salle (37.3 percent) - that shoot a better three-point percentage than the Big East leader, Notre Dame (36.9 percent).
- The Butler rebounding leader (Roosevelt Jones, 180 rebounds) has more rebounds than the Marquette rebounding leader (Davante Gardner, 145 rebounds).
- Butler has an average margin of victory of 7 over Marquette in three wins since 1989.
- The top-ranking players between the two conferences for points, free throws made, and three-pointers are in the A-10.
- Butler has more Final Four appearances over the last 10 years than Marquette (two vs. one).
- The Butler scoring leader (Rotnei Clarke, 467 points) has more points than the Marquette scoring leader (Vander Blue, 417 points).
- Rotnei Clarke is ranked 10th nationally in three-pointers.
- Butler has more wins over the last 5 years than Marquette (163 vs. 144).
- The A-10 has 2 teams - Virginia Commonwealth (78.1) and Massachusetts (73.5) - that score more per game than the Big East leader, Louisville (73.5).
|C||S. Taylor Jr.||9||3||2||0||0||0||0|