(25-7, 10-4 away)
(16) Syracuse 81
(27-9, 17-2 home)
Venue: HP Pavilion
10:41PM ET / 7:41PM PT, March 21, 2013
||S Coleman 5
||W Cherry 5
||J Gregory 1
||B Triche 20
||M Carter-Williams 8
||M Carter-Williams 9
On Thursday, Mar. 21, No. 4-seeded Syracuse held No. 13-seeded Montana to just 20.4 percent from the floor and waxed the Grizzlies 81-34 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Orange got the win with a game-high 20 points (4 Ast 4 Stl) from Brandon Triche on 83.3 percent shooting in 29 minutes. Michael Carter-Williams had four points and added nine assists (8 Reb 3 Stl). For the Grizzlies, Michael Weisner finished with three points and five rebounds. Montana wraps up the season with a 25-7 record. The Grizzlies got to the NCAA Tournament as the Big Sky champion after beating Weber State 67-64 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the Big Sky with a 19-1 conference record. Syracuse (27-9, 11-7 Big East) faces off against No. 12-seeded California (21-11, 12-6 Pac-12) in the third round on Saturday, Mar. 23.
Syracuse Game Notes
- The last time SU started the season 27-9 was 2008.
- SU beat the spread by 34 points. That makes the 17th time this season the Orange have beaten the spread.
- This was the 13th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, SU has been on the winning end of 52 blowout games.
- The Orange have won every game this season (10-0) after recording 81 or more total points.
- Syracuse has won every game this season (5-0) when its field goal percentage has been 51.9 percent or better.
- Syracuse has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) after committing eight or fewer turnovers.
- SU has won every game this season (8-0) when opponents record eight or fewer free throws made.
- This season Syracuse has won 74 percent of the time (17-6) when C.J. Fair has 13 points or more, 89 percent of the time (17-2) when Brandon Triche has five field goals made or more, and 100 percent of the time (5-0) when Michael Carter-Williams has eight rebounds or more.
- The Orange have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past five games.
- The top two scorers (Brandon Triche and C.J. Fair) accounted for 40.7 percent of the points.
- Brandon Triche has led the team in scoring in nine out of 36 games this season.
- Michael Carter-Williams has led the team in rebounding in five out of 36 games this season.
- This marks the 13th 20-point game of Brandon Triche's career.
- Brandon Triche has five straight double-digit point games.
- Brandon Triche had career highs with a 100 percent three-point percentage and four steals.
Montana Game Notes
- This was the third blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, UM has been on the losing end of 11 blowout games.
- Kareem Jamar has led the team in scoring 10 times in 32 games this season.
- Will Cherry has led the team in rebounding five times in 32 games this season.