Although they entered the game as an 11-point favorite, No. 3-seeded New Mexico was upset by No. 14-seeded Harvard 68-62 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Alex Kirk got a game-high 22 points and 12 rebounds for the Lobos, earning a double-double. Cameron Bairstow got 15 points and added nine rebounds. Wesley Saunders finished with a team-high 18 points and four rebounds for the Crimson. New Mexico closes out the season with a 29-6 record. The Lobos got to the NCAA Tournament as the Mountain West champion after beating UNLV 63-56 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the Mountain West with a 13-3 record in conference play.
New Mexico Game Notes
- The Lobos set a season high for steals (12).
- The last time Lobos recorded at least 12 steals was Jan 03, 2012 against Houston Baptist.
- Lobos set season lows for assists (eight) and blocks (one).
- The Lobos have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past four games.
- Alex Kirk accounted for 35.4 percent of the team's points.
- Alex Kirk accounted for 35.2 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Alex Kirk has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 21 times in 35 games this season.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Alex Kirk's career.
- Alex Kirk recorded a double-double. It was his ninth this season and 10th of his career.
Harvard Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Wesley Saunders and Laurent Rivard) accounted for 51.4 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Kenyatta Smith and Laurent Rivard) accounted for 46.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Wesley Saunders has led the team in scoring 15 times in 29 games this season.
- Kenyatta Smith has led the team in rebounding seven times in 29 games this season.
- Wesley Saunders has 29 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Steve Moundou-Missi.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Kenyatta Smith.