(20-9, 6-8 away)
(10) New Mexico 62
(29-6, 15-1 home)
Venue: EnergySolutions Arena
10:12PM ET / 7:12PM PT, March 21, 2013
||W Saunders 18
||K Smith 7
||S Chambers 7
||A Kirk 22
||A Kirk 12
||H Greenwood 2
Even though they entered the game as an 11-point underdog, No. 14-seeded Harvard stunned No. 3-seeded New Mexico 68-62 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Wesley Saunders played well for the Crimson and put up a team-high 18 points and four rebounds. Laurent Rivard was sharp from three-point range, going five for nine to get to 17 points overall. Alex Kirk registered a double-double for the Lobos with a game-high 22 points and 12 rebounds. New Mexico wraps up the season with a 29-6 record. The Lobos got to the NCAA Tournament as the Mountain West champion after beating UNLV 63-56 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the Mountain West with a 13-3 conference record. Harvard (20-9, 11-3 Ivy League) plays No. 6-seeded Arizona (26-7, 12-6 Pac-12) in the third round on Saturday, Mar. 23.
Harvard Game Notes
- The win over New Mexico extended the Harvard winning streak to three games.
- Harvard beat the spread by 17 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Crimson have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, Harvard played eight Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 2-6.
- Harvard has won every game this season (9-0) when its field goal percentage has been 52.4 percent or better.
- Harvard has won every game this season (7-0) when opponents record eight or fewer assists.
- Harvard has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) after holding an opponent to under 37.5 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Harvard has won 88 percent of the time (7-1) when Christian Webster has 11 points or more, 78 percent of the time (7-2) when Siyani Chambers plays 40 minutes or more, and 71 percent of the time (15-6) when Wesley Saunders has five field goals made or more.
- Harvard set a season low for steals (three).
- The top two scorers (Wesley Saunders and Laurent Rivard) accounted for 51.4 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Kenyatta Smith and Laurent Rivard) accounted for 46.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Wesley Saunders has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 29 games this season.
- Kenyatta Smith has led the team in rebounding in seven out of 29 games this season.
- Wesley Saunders has 29 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Steve Moundou-Missi.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Kenyatta Smith.
New Mexico Game Notes
- Alex Kirk accounted for 35.4 percent of the team's points.
- Alex Kirk accounted for 35.2 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Alex Kirk has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 21 times in 35 games this season.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Alex Kirk's career.
- Alex Kirk recorded a double-double. It was his ninth this season and 10th of his career.