On an evening when they were outscored 24-3 by the Rams from behind the arc, No. 12-seeded Akron was punished by No. 5-seeded Virginia Commonwealth 88-42 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Zips got 11 points and five rebounds from Zeke Marshall. Demetrius Treadwell got 15 points and added seven rebounds. For the Rams, Juvonte Reddic finished with 21 points and six rebounds. Akron closes out the season with a 26-7 record. The Zips got to the NCAA Tournament as the MAC champion after beating Ohio 65-46 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the MAC with a 14-2 record in conference play.
Akron Game Notes
- The last time Akron started the season 26-7 was 2006.
- The Zips have lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-3) after having a field goal percentage of 34.9 percent or worse.
- When the opposition records 36 or more rebounds this season, Akron has lost 75 percent of the time (2-6).
- Akron set season lows for assists (five), field goals made (15), steals (two), three-pointers (one), three-point percentage (7.7), and total points (42).
- Akron has been outshot by their opponents in free throw percentage for the past eight games.
- Demetrius Treadwell accounted for 35.7 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Demetrius Treadwell and Carmelo Betancourt) accounted for 44.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Demetrius Treadwell has led the team in scoring six times and in rebounding 19 times in 33 games this season.
- Demetrius Treadwell has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Zeke Marshall has 10 straight double-digit point games.
Virginia Commonwealth Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Troy Daniels and Juvonte Reddic) accounted for 50.0 percent of the points.
- Troy Daniels has led the team in scoring 10 times in 35 games this season.
- Jarred Guest has led the team in rebounding three times in 35 games this season.
- This marks the ninth 20-point game of Troy Daniels's career.
- This marks the 11th 20-point game of Juvonte Reddic's career.
- Juvonte Reddic has three straight double-digit point games.