(26-7, 7-4 away)
Venue: The Palace of Auburn Hills
9:45PM ET / 6:45PM PT, March 21, 2013
||D Treadwell 15
||D Treadwell 7
||C Betancourt 4
||T Daniels 23
||J Guest 6
||D Theus 5
On Thursday, Mar. 21, No. 5-seeded Virginia Commonwealth outscored Akron 24-3 from behind the three-point line and easily got past No. 12-seeded the Zips 88-42 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Rams got the win with 21 points and six rebounds from Juvonte Reddic. Troy Daniels was sharp from three-point range, going six for 11 on the way to a game-high 23 points. For the Zips, Zeke Marshall finished with 11 points and five rebounds. Akron wraps up the season with a 26-7 record. The Zips got to the NCAA Tournament as the MAC champion after beating Ohio 65-46 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the MAC with a 14-2 conference record. Virginia Commonwealth (27-8, 12-4 A-10) takes on No. 4-seeded Michigan (27-7, 12-6 Big Ten) in the third round on Saturday, Mar. 23.
Virginia Commonwealth Game Notes
- VCU beat the spread by 38.5 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Rams have beaten the spread.
- This was the 11th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, VCU has been on the winning end of 33 blowout games.
- The Rams have won every game this season (9-0) after recording 88 or more total points.
- Virginia Commonwealth has won every game this season (4-0) when its field goal percentage has been 53.8 percent or better.
- VCU has won 90 percent of the time this season (9-1) when opponents record 29 or fewer rebounds.
- This season Virginia Commonwealth has won 75 percent of the time (9-3) when Melvin Johnson has 10 points or more, 100 percent of the time (6-0) when Troy Daniels has eight field goals made or more, and 70 percent of the time (19-8) when Juvonte Reddic has six rebounds or more.
- VCU set a season low for blocks (zero).
- Virginia Commonwealth has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past five games.
- The top two scorers (Troy Daniels and Juvonte Reddic) accounted for 50.0 percent of the points.
- Troy Daniels has led the team in scoring in 10 out of 35 games this season.
- Jarred Guest has led the team in rebounding in three out of 35 games this season.
- This marks the ninth 20-point game of Troy Daniels's career.
- This marks the 11th 20-point game of Juvonte Reddic's career.
- Juvonte Reddic has three straight double-digit point games.
Akron Game Notes
- Demetrius Treadwell accounted for 35.7 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Demetrius Treadwell and Carmelo Betancourt) accounted for 44.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Demetrius Treadwell has led the team in scoring six times and in rebounding 19 times in 33 games this season.
- Demetrius Treadwell has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Zeke Marshall has 10 straight double-digit point games.