NC A&T 48
(20-17, 5-12 away)
(2) Louisville 79
(30-5, 15-1 home)
Venue: Rupp Arena
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, March 21, 2013
||B Beckford 12
||B Beckford 4
||L Middleton 3
||R Smith 23
||S Van Treese 7
||P Siva 8
No. 16-seeded North Carolina A&T was thumped by No. 1-seeded Louisville 79-48 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 21. The Aggies got a team-high 12 points and four rebounds from Bruce Beckford. Lamont Middleton got nine points and added four rebounds. For the Cardinals, Russ Smith got a game-high 23 points (8 Stl 3 Ast) on 62.5 percent shooting. North Carolina A&T closes out the season with a 20-17 record. The Aggies got to the NCAA Tournament as the MEAC champion after beating Morgan State 57-54 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished sixth in the MEAC with an 8-8 record in conference play. North Carolina A&T defeated No. 16-seeded Liberty 73-72 in the first round.
North Carolina A&T Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 9:40 left to go.
- Prior to this game, NCAT played eight Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 0-8.
- North Carolina A&T has lost 86 percent of the time this season (1-6) after recording 48 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition records 79 or more total points this season, North Carolina A&T has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- When the opposition records 31 or more field goals made this season, North Carolina A&T has lost 75 percent of the time (1-3).
- When the opposition records 14 or more assists this season, North Carolina A&T has lost 75 percent of the time (3-9).
- The Aggies set a season high for turnovers (27).
- The last time NCAT recorded at least 27 turnovers was Dec 23, 2009 against Tennessee.
- NCAT set season lows for blocks (zero) and rebounds (20).
- The top two scorers (Bruce Beckford and Lamont Middleton) accounted for 43.7 percent of the points.
- Bruce Beckford has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding 7 times in 37 games this season.
Louisville Game Notes
- Russ Smith recorded a team season high in steals with eight.
- The top two scorers (Russ Smith and Wayne Blackshear) accounted for 44.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Gorgui Dieng and Stephan Van Treese) accounted for 45.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Russ Smith has led the team in scoring 22 times in 35 games this season.
- Gorgui Dieng has led the team in rebounding 21 times in 35 games this season.
- This marks the 20th 20-point game of Russ Smith's career.
- Russ Smith has four straight double-digit point games.
- Russ Smith set a career high with eight steals.
- Wayne Blackshear set a career high with four steals.
- Gorgui Dieng set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
|B+||S. Van Treese||19||4||7||0||1||0||0|