NC A&T 48
(20-17, 5-12 away)
(2) Louisville 79
(30-5, 15-1 home)
Venue: Rupp Arena
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, March 21, 2013
||B Beckford 12
||B Beckford 4
||L Middleton 3
||R Smith 23
||S Van Treese 7
||P Siva 8
No. 1-seeded Louisville easily got past No. 16-seeded North Carolina A&T 79-48 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 21. The Cardinals got the win with a game-high 23 points (8 Stl 3 Ast) from Russ Smith on 62.5 percent shooting in 25 minutes. Wayne Blackshear had 12 points and added five rebounds. For the Aggies, Bruce Beckford got a team-high 12 points and four rebounds. North Carolina A&T wraps up the season with a 20-17 record. The Aggies got to the NCAA Tournament as the MEAC champion after beating Morgan State 57-54 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished sixth in the MEAC with an 8-8 conference record. North Carolina A&T took down No. 16-seeded Liberty 73-72 in the first round. Louisville (30-5, 14-4 Big East) takes on No. 8-seeded Colorado State (25-8, 11-5 Mountain West) in the third round on Saturday, Mar. 23.
Louisville Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 9:40 left to go.
- The last time Lville started the season 30-5 was 2008.
- The win over North Carolina A&T extended the Louisville winning streak to 11 games.
- Lville beat the spread by six points. That makes the 21st time this season the Cardinals have beaten the spread.
- This was the 12th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, Lville has been on the winning end of 56 blowout games.
- The Cardinals have won 93 percent of the time this season (13-1) after recording 79 or more total points.
- Louisville has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) after committing 16 or fewer turnovers.
- Lville has won every game this season (8-0) when opponents record 48 or fewer total points.
- This season Louisville has won 90 percent of the time (9-1) when Russ Smith has 23 points or more, 83 percent of the time (10-2) when Wayne Blackshear has four field goals made or more, and 83 percent of the time (20-4) when Gorgui Dieng has seven rebounds or more.
- The Cardinals set season highs for field goal percentage (57.4) and steals (20).
- The last time Lville recorded at least 20 steals was Jan 29, 2005 against Tulane.
- The Cardinals have recorded more steals than their opponents for the past 14 games.
- Louisville has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past 29 games.
- Russ Smith recorded a team season high in steals with eight.
- The top two scorers (Russ Smith and Wayne Blackshear) accounted for 44.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Gorgui Dieng and Stephan Van Treese) accounted for 45.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Russ Smith has led the team in scoring in 22 out of 35 games this season.
- Gorgui Dieng has led the team in rebounding in 21 out of 35 games this season.
- This marks the 20th 20-point game of Russ Smith's career.
- Russ Smith has four straight double-digit point games.
- Russ Smith had a career high with eight steals.
- Wayne Blackshear had a career high with four steals.
- Gorgui Dieng had a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
North Carolina A&T Game Notes
- This was the third blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, NCAT has been on the losing end of 26 blowout games.
- The top two scorers (Bruce Beckford and Lamont Middleton) accounted for 43.7 percent of the points.
- Bruce Beckford has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding seven times in 37 games this season.
|B+||S. Van Treese||19||4||7||0||1||0||0|