No. 1-seeded Gonzaga squared off with No. 16-seeded Southern University on Thursday, Mar. 21 and knocked off the Jaguars 64-58 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Kelly Olynyk earned a double-double in the Bulldogs win with a team-high 21 points and 10 rebounds. Kevin Pangos had 16 points and added five assists. For the Jaguars, Derick Beltran finished with a game-high 21 points and three rebounds. The win streak for the Bulldogs now stands at 15 games. Southern University wraps up the season with a 23-10 record. The Jaguars got to the NCAA Tournament as the SWAC champion after beating Prairie View A&M 45-44 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished second in the SWAC with a 15-3 conference record. Gonzaga (32-2, 16-0 West Coast) faces off against No. 9-seeded Wichita State (27-8, 12-6 Missouri Valley) in the third round on Saturday, Mar. 23.
Gonzaga Game Notes
- The win over Southern University extended the Gonzaga winning streak to 15 games.
- The Bulldogs have won every game this season (12-0) after recording eight or more three-pointers.
- Gonzaga has won every game this season (15-0) when its three-point percentage has been 40.0 percent or better.
- Gonzaga has won 94 percent of the time this season (16-1) after committing 10 or fewer turnovers.
- Zags has won every game this season (14-0) when opponents record 18 or fewer field goals made.
- This season Gonzaga has won 93 percent of the time (13-1) when Gary Bell has 11 points or more, 89 percent of the time (8-1) when Elias Harris plays 32 minutes or more, and 100 percent of the time (10-0) when Kevin Pangos has five field goals made or more.
- Zags set a season low for blocks (zero).
- The Bulldogs have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 15 games.
- Kelly Olynyk accounted for 32.8 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Kelly Olynyk and Elias Harris) accounted for 45.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Kelly Olynyk has led the team in scoring 14 times and in rebounding 15 times in 34 games this season.
- This marks the 12th 20-point game of Kelly Olynyk's career.
- Kelly Olynyk recorded a double-double. It was the fifth of his career.
- David Stockton had a career high with seven assists.
Southern University Game Notes
- Derick Beltran accounted for 36.2 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jameel Grace and Javan Mitchell) accounted for 40.7 percent of the rebounds.
- Derick Beltran has led the team in scoring 18 times in 33 games this season.
- This marks the 16th 20-point game of Derick Beltran's career.
- Derick Beltran has five straight double-digit point games.
- Brandon Moore set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.