Saint Mary's 52
(28-7, 9-2 away)
(19) Memphis 54
(31-4, 17-1 home)
Venue: The Palace of Auburn Hills
2:46PM ET / 11:46AM PT, March 21, 2013
||B Waldow 17
||M Young 9
||M Dellavedova 7
||J Jackson 14
||T Black 7
||J Jackson 7
On Thursday, Mar. 21, No. 11-seeded Saint Mary's took on No. 6-seeded Memphis and was narrowly defeated by the Tigers 54-52 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Jordan Giusti put up four points and six rebounds for the Gaels. Mitchell Young had nine points and added nine rebounds. For the Tigers, Joe Jackson finished with a team-high 14 points and seven assists. Saint Mary's closes out the season with a 28-7 record. The Gaels got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Gonzaga 65-51 in the West Coast Tournament. In the regular season, they finished second in the West Coast with a 14-2 record in conference play. Saint Mary's outplayed No. 11-seeded Middle Tennessee State 67-54 in the first round.
Saint Mary's Game Notes
- The last time SMC started the season 28-7 was 2008.
- The Gaels have been unlucky two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Saint Mary's is 20-10 in close games.
- Prior to this game, SMC played 21 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 5-16.
- SMC set season lows for blocks (zero), field goal percentage (32.8), three-pointers (three), and three-point percentage (20.0).
- Brad Waldow accounted for 32.6 percent of the team's points.
- Brad Waldow has led the team in scoring in four out of 35 games this season.
- Mitchell Young has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 35 games this season.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Mitchell Young.
- Mitchell Young had a career high with five offensive rebounds.
Memphis Game Notes
- D.J. Stephens recorded a team season high in blocks with eight.
- The top two scorers (Joe Jackson and Tarik Black) accounted for 48.1 percent of the points.
- Joe Jackson has led the team in scoring 10 times in 35 games this season.
- Tarik Black has led the team in rebounding six times in 35 games this season.
- Adonis Thomas has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Tarik Black.
- Tarik Black set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
- D.J. Stephens set a career high with eight blocks.