Saint Mary's 52
(28-7, 9-2 away)
(19) Memphis 54
(31-4, 17-1 home)
Venue: The Palace of Auburn Hills
2:46PM ET / 11:46AM PT, March 21, 2013
||B Waldow 17
||M Young 9
||M Dellavedova 7
||J Jackson 14
||T Black 7
||J Jackson 7
On Thursday, Mar. 21, No. 6-seeded Memphis won a nail-biter over No. 11-seeded Saint Mary's 54-52 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Joe Jackson led the Tigers and put up a team-high 14 points and seven assists. D.J. Stephens had nine points and added four rebounds. Jordan Giusti got four points and six rebounds for the Gaels. Saint Mary's wraps up the season with a 28-7 record. The Gaels got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Gonzaga 65-51 in the West Coast Tournament In the regular season, they finished second in the West Coast with a 14-2 conference record. Saint Mary's overcame No. 11-seeded Middle Tennessee State 67-54 in the first round. Memphis (31-4, 16-0 Conference USA) goes up against No. 3-seeded Michigan State (26-8, 13-5 Big Ten) in the third round on Saturday, Mar. 23.
Memphis Game Notes
- The win over Saint Mary's extended the Memphis winning streak to seven games.
- Memphis beat the spread by two points. That makes the 15th time this season the Tigers have beaten the spread.
- The Tigers have won seven close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Memphis is 34-14 in close games.
- The Tigers have won 90 percent of the time this season (18-2) after recording nine or more steals.
- Memphis has won 85 percent of the time this season (17-3) after committing 15 or fewer turnovers.
- Memphis has won every game this season (5-0) when opponents record 52 or fewer total points.
- Memphis has won every game this season (5-0) after holding an opponent to under 32.8 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Memphis has won 94 percent of the time (17-1) when Joe Jackson has 14 points or more, 93 percent of the time (13-1) when Geron Johnson plays 31 minutes or more, and 90 percent of the time (18-2) when Adonis Thomas has four field goals made or more.
- The Tigers set a season high for blocks (12).
- The Tigers have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past 16 games.
- D.J. Stephens recorded a team season high in blocks with eight.
- The top two scorers (Joe Jackson and Tarik Black) accounted for 48.1 percent of the points.
- Joe Jackson has led the team in scoring in 10 out of 35 games this season.
- Tarik Black has led the team in rebounding in six out of 35 games this season.
- Adonis Thomas has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Tarik Black.
- Tarik Black had a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
- D.J. Stephens had a career high with eight blocks.
Saint Mary's Game Notes
- The Gaels have lost two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Saint Mary's is 20-10 in close games.
- Brad Waldow accounted for 32.6 percent of the team's points.
- Brad Waldow has led the team in scoring four times in 35 games this season.
- Mitchell Young has led the team in rebounding 11 times in 35 games this season.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Mitchell Young.
- Mitchell Young set a career high with five offensive rebounds.