Norfolk State 56
(21-12, 10-9 away)
(22-11, 19-1 home)
Venue: John Paul Jones Arena
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, March 19, 2013
||R Johnson 16
||R Johnson 13
||M Phelps 2
||J Anderson 15
||A Mitchell 11
||J Anderson 4
No. 8-seeded Norfolk State was defeated by No. 1-seeded Virginia 67-56 in the first round of the NIT on a night when they mustered only 26.9 percent from the floor. Rob Johnson secured a double-double in a losing effort including a game-high 16 points and 13 rebounds. Pendarvis Williams got 16 points and added three rebounds. For the Cavaliers, Justin Anderson got a team-high 15 points and five rebounds. Norfolk State closes out the season with a 21-12 record. In the regular season, they finished first in the MEAC with a 16-0 record in conference play.
Norfolk State Game Notes
- NSU beat the spread by four points.
- Norfolk State has lost 75 percent of the time this season (1-3) after committing 18 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 38.5 percent or better this season, Norfolk State has lost 83 percent of the time (1-5).
- NSU set season lows for field goals made (14) and field goal percentage (26.9).
- Rob Johnson recorded a team season high in defensive rebounds with 12.
- The top two scorers (Rob Johnson and Pendarvis Williams) accounted for 57.1 percent of the points.
- Rob Johnson accounted for 36.1 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Rob Johnson has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding 8 times in 33 games this season.
- Rob Johnson recorded the third double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Rob Johnson has three straight double-digit point games.
- Rob Johnson recorded a double-double. It was his second this season and third of his career.
- Rob Johnson had career highs with three three-pointers and 12 defensive rebounds.
- Pendarvis Williams has eight straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Pendarvis Williams.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Malcom Hawkins.
Virginia Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Justin Anderson and Akil Mitchell) accounted for 44.7 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Akil Mitchell and Joe Harris) accounted for 45.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Justin Anderson has led the team in scoring three times in 33 games this season.
- Akil Mitchell has led the team in rebounding 26 times in 33 games this season.
- Joe Harris has 14 straight double-digit point games.
- Akil Mitchell recorded the 15th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Akil Mitchell has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Akil Mitchell recorded a double-double. It was his 12th this season and 13th of his career.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Evan Nolte.