No. 6-seeded Detroit was outshot 55.1 percent to 34.5 percent by No. 3-seeded Arizona State and was blown out by the Sun Devils 83-68 in the first round of the NIT on Wednesday, Mar. 20. By halftime, Detroit was already out of it, with the score 46-27. The team struggled in the second half as well and Arizona State maintained the big win. The Titans got a team-high 19 points and four assists from Jason Calliste. Ray McCallum scored 16 points and added two rebounds. Jahii Carson recorded a double-double for the Sun Devils with a game-high 22 points and 10 rebounds. Detroit closes out the season with a 20-13 record. In the regular season, they finished second in the Horizon with a 12-4 record in conference play.
Detroit Game Notes
- Detroit started 20-13 during the 2011 and 2009 seasons (since 1996).
- Detroit has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-9) after recording 68 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition records 83 or more total points this season, Detroit has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition records 41 or more rebounds this season, Detroit has lost 75 percent of the time (1-3).
- Detroit set season lows for field goal percentage (34.5), rebounds (21), three-pointers (two), and three-point percentage (10.0).
- Detroit has recorded fewer rebounds than their opponents for the past seven games.
- The top two scorers (Jason Calliste and Ray McCallum) accounted for 51.4 percent of the points.
- Jason Calliste has led the team in scoring in seven out of 33 games this season.
- Nick Minnerath has led the team in rebounding in 12 out of 33 games this season.
- Jason Calliste has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Ugochukwu Njoku.
Arizona State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Jahii Carson and Carrick Felix) accounted for 51.8 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jahii Carson and Carrick Felix) accounted for 41.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Jahii Carson has led the team in scoring 18 times and in rebounding three times in 34 games this season.
- This marks the 17th 20-point game of Jahii Carson's career.
- Jahii Carson has three straight 20+ point games.
- Jahii Carson recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- This marks the 13th 20-point game of Carrick Felix's career.
- Jonathan Gilling has three straight double-digit point games.