No. 3-seeded Arizona State trounced No. 6-seeded Detroit 83-68 in the first round of the NIT in a game where they outshot the Titans 55.1 percent to 34.5 percent. It was all Arizona State from the beginning and they led 46-27 at the half. Jahii Carson got a game-high 22 points and 10 rebounds for the Sun Devils, earning a double-double. Carrick Felix also had a great game, scoring 21 points and adding seven rebounds. For the Titans, Jason Calliste finished with a team-high 19 points and four assists. Detroit wraps up the season with a 20-13 record. In the regular season, they finished second in the Horizon with a 12-4 conference record. Arizona State (22-12, 9-9 Pac-12) takes on No. 2-seeded Baylor (19-14, 9-9 Big 12) in the second round on Friday, Mar. 22.
Arizona State Game Notes
- ASU beat the spread by 11 points. That makes the 19th time this season the Sun Devils have beaten the spread.
- The Sun Devils have won every game this season (13-0) after recording 16 or more assists.
- ASU has won every game this season (6-0) after holding an opponent to under 34.5 percent field goal percentage.
- ASU has won every game this season (4-0) when opponents record eight or fewer assists.
- This season Arizona State has won 73 percent of the time (11-4) when Jonathan Gilling has 10 points or more, 77 percent of the time (10-3) when Jordan Bachynski plays 30 minutes or more, and 100 percent of the time (6-0) when Carrick Felix has eight field goals made or more.
- The Sun Devils set a season high for turnovers (24).
- The last time ASU recorded at least 24 turnovers was Feb 25, 2006 against Arizona.
- The Sun Devils have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past five games.
- Arizona State has been outshot by their opponents in free throw percentage for the past four games.
- This is the 20th game at home this season--ASU has a 7.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Jahii Carson and Carrick Felix) accounted for 51.8 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jahii Carson and Carrick Felix) accounted for 41.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Jahii Carson has led the team in scoring 18 times and in rebounding 3 times in 34 games this season.
- This marks the 17th 20-point game of Jahii Carson's career.
- Jahii Carson has three straight 20+ point games.
- Jahii Carson recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- This marks the 13th 20-point game of Carrick Felix's career.
- Jonathan Gilling has three straight double-digit point games.
Detroit Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Jason Calliste and Ray McCallum) accounted for 51.4 percent of the points.
- Jason Calliste has led the team in scoring seven times in 33 games this season.
- Nick Minnerath has led the team in rebounding 12 times in 33 games this season.
- Jason Calliste has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Ugochukwu Njoku.