No. 1-seeded Southern Miss squared off with No. 8-seeded Charleston Southern on Wednesday, Mar. 20 and got the win against the Buccaneers 78-71 in the first round of the NIT. The Golden Eagles were led by Jonathan Mills, who put up a team-high 16 points and nine rebounds. Dwayne Davis also had a good game, scoring 15 points and adding six rebounds. For the Buccaneers, Saah Nimley finished with a game-high 24 points (5 Reb 5 Ast 3 Stl), including seven-of-14 shooting from three-point range. Charleston Southern wraps up the season with a 19-13 record. In the regular season, they finished first in the Big South with a 12-4 conference record. Southern Miss (26-9, 12-4 Conference USA) faces off against No. 5-seeded Louisiana Tech (27-6, 16-2 WAC) in the second round on Monday, Mar. 25.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- Southern Miss has won every game this season (7-0) when its three-point percentage has been 52.6 percent or better.
- The Golden Eagles have won 88 percent of the time this season (7-1) after recording 10 or more three-pointers.
- Southern Miss has won 80 percent of the time this season (12-3) after committing 14 or fewer turnovers.
- USM has won every game this season (6-0) when opponents record one or fewer blocks.
- USM has won 93 percent of the time this season (14-1) after holding an opponent to under 38.3 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Southern Miss has won 75 percent of the time (12-4) when Dwayne Davis has 15 points or more, 83 percent of the time (10-2) when Neil Watson has four field goals made or more, and 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Jonathan Mills has four free throws made or more.
- This is the 14th game at home this season--USM has a 22.4 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two rebounders (Jonathan Mills and Dwayne Davis) accounted for 50.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in scoring six times and in rebounding 19 times in 35 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has three straight double-digit point games.
- Dwayne Davis has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Jerrold Brooks has four straight double-digit point games.
Charleston Southern Game Notes
- Mathiang Muo recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 14.
- Saah Nimley tallied a team season high in three pointers attempted with 14.
- Saah Nimley accounted for 33.8 percent of the team's points.
- Saah Nimley has led the team in scoring 16 times in 32 games this season.
- Paul Gombwer has led the team in rebounding 14 times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the 20th 20-point game of Saah Nimley's career.
- Saah Nimley has three straight double-digit point games.
- Saah Nimley set career highs with eight field goals made and seven three-pointers.
- Arlon Harper has eight straight double-digit point games.