Saint Mary's vs. Memphis: Full Game Preview
|Saint Mary's||M Dellavedova 16.0||B Waldow 6.1||M Dellavedova 6.4|
|Memphis||J Jackson 13.6||D Stephens 6.7||J Jackson 4.8|
11th-seeded Saint Mary's takes on No. 6-seeded Memphis in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at The Palace of Auburn Hills on Thursday. The game gets underway at 2:45 p.m. ET and you can catch it on CBS. The Gaels have not played the Tigers since the 2004-05 season, when they fell 81-66.
In a 67-54 win over Middle Tennessee State on Mar. 19, Matthew Dellavedova put up 22 points and six rebounds for the Gaels. A crucial part of the team, he leads the way with 16.0 points per game and 6.4 assists per game. For the Tigers, Chris Crawford finished with 23 points and six assists in the 91-79 win over Southern Miss on Mar. 16. He contributes 3.8 rebounds per game in addition to his 10.7 points per game. One category in which Memphis is especially proficient is effective field goal percentage at 53.2, ranking second in their conference (and 30th nationally).
- Moraga isn't as congested as Memphis (population is significantly lower).
- Saint Mary's allows fewer rebounds (28.4 allowed per game vs. 32.3 allowed per game) than Memphis this season.
- Matthew Dellavedova is ranked 50th nationally in three-pointers and 9th nationally in assists.
- The Saint Mary's three-point leader (Matthew Dellavedova, 80 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Memphis three-point leader (Chris Crawford, 51 three-pointers).
- The Saint Mary's scoring leader (Matthew Dellavedova, 521 points) has more points than the Memphis scoring leader (Joe Jackson, 427 points).
- The Saint Mary's assist leader (Matthew Dellavedova, 212 assists) has more assists than the Memphis assist leader (Joe Jackson, 153 assists).
- Saint Mary's has a better overall winning percentage over the last five years (79.9 percent to 78.5 percent).
- Saint Mary's players are more experienced than Memphis players (20,050 minutes played vs. 15,680 minutes played).
- Be afraid. Saint Mary's has blown out more teams than Memphis this season (nine blowouts vs. five).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Saint Mary's currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (967 to 1000) than Memphis, per the NCAA.
|C||J. Walker III||22||7||4||1||1||0||1|