|Saint Mary's||M Dellavedova 16.0||B Waldow 6.1||M Dellavedova 6.4|
|Memphis||J Jackson 13.6||D Stephens 6.7||J Jackson 4.8|
No. 6-seeded Memphis meets 11th-seeded Saint Mary's in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at The Palace of Auburn Hills on Thursday. It gets started at 2:45 p.m. ET and you can catch it on CBS. The Tigers have not played the Gaels since the 2004-05 season, when they won 81-66.
In their last outing, behind 23 points and six assists from Chris Crawford, the Tigers defeated Southern Miss 91-79 on Mar. 16. He contributes 3.8 rebounds per game in addition to his 10.7 points per game. For the Gaels, Matthew Dellavedova put up 22 points and six rebounds in the 67-54 win over Middle Tennessee State on Mar. 19. With 16.0 points per game and 6.4 assists per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. Saint Mary's sits near the top of the conference standings in the following categories: defensive rebounding percentage at 75.5, effective field goal percentage at 54.5, and offensive rebounding percentage at 37.1.
Saint Mary's StatSmack
- Last year the worst team in Conference USA had a higher RPI than the worst team in the West Coast (No. 242 vs. No. 294).
- Conference USA had fewer blowout games in conference (meaning there is greater parity within the conference) than in the West Coast.
- Last year Conference USA lost fewer non-conference blowout games than the West Coast (four vs. 11).
- Conference USA has 2 teams - Southern Miss (10.2) and Memphis (9.2) - that create more steals per game than the West Coast leader, Brigham Young (8.5).
- Memphis has more Final Four appearances over the last 10 years than Saint Mary's (one vs. zero).
- Memphis is better at defending the three (33.4 percent allowed vs. 37.5 percent allowed) than Saint Mary's this season.
- Memphis has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Saint Mary's (eight vs. four).
- AP voters think more highly of Memphis and ranked them in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Saint Mary's (111 vs. 40).
- Conference USA had more close games in conference (so the games are more exciting to watch) than in the West Coast.
- Since 1998, Memphis has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Saint Mary's (15 vs. zero).
- Memphis is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Memphis is 212 lbs compared to 206 lbs for Saint Mary's.
|C||J. Walker III||22||7||4||1||1||0||1|