Charleston Southern vs. Southern Miss: Full Game Preview
|Charleston Southern||S Nimley 15.7||P Gombwer 6.3||S Nimley 5.0|
|Southern Miss||D Davis 16.4||J Mills 7.8||N Watson 4.9|
No. 1-seeded Southern Miss battles No. 8-seeded Charleston Southern in the first round of the NIT at Reed Green Coliseum on Wednesday. It all starts at 9:15 p.m. ET and you can catch it on ESPN3.com.
The Golden Eagles fell 91-79 to Memphis on Mar. 16. Daveon Boardingham finished with 19 points and eight rebounds in the loss. On top of a team-high 1.3 blocks per game, he also scores 8.4 points per game. For the Buccaneers, Saah Nimley put up 18 points and five rebounds in the 87-76 loss to Liberty on Mar. 10. With 15.7 points per game and 5.0 assists per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. One category in which Charleston Southern is especially proficient is turnover percentage at 17.9, ranking second in their conference (and 68th nationally).
Charleston Southern StatSmack
- Conference USA has 3 teams - Southern Miss (38.7 percent), Houston (37.4 percent), and Memphis (37.3 percent) - that shoot a better three-point percentage than the Big South leader, Liberty (37.3 percent).
- The worst team in Conference USA has a higher RPI than the worst team in the Big South (No. 321 vs. No. 340).
- Conference USA has a conference RPI that is better than the Big South (No. 11 vs. No. 30).
- Conference USA has had 21 more NBA Draft picks than the Big South over the past 10 years.
- Southern Miss has a better record on the road than Charleston Southern this season (9-6 vs. 6-8).
- Conference USA has a much better non-conference game winning percentage than the Big South (62.6 percent vs. 40.0 percent).
- Charleston Southern has been ducking Southern Miss for over 30 years.
- Conference USA lost fewer non-conference blowout games than the Big South (11 vs. 22).
- The best team in Conference USA has a much higher RPI than the best team in the Big South (No. 16 vs. No. 192).