|Charleston Southern||S Nimley 15.7||P Gombwer 6.3||S Nimley 5.0|
|Southern Miss||D Davis 16.4||J Mills 7.8||N Watson 4.9|
No. 8-seeded Charleston Southern meets No. 1-seeded Southern Miss in the first round of the NIT at Reed Green Coliseum on Wednesday. Tipoff is at 9:15 p.m. ET and you can catch it on ESPN3.com.
In their last game on Mar. 10, Saah Nimley put up 18 points and five rebounds for the Buccaneers in a loss to Liberty, 87-76. He leads the team in points with 15.7 per game and assists with 5.0 per game. For the Golden Eagles, Jonathan Mills finished with 15 points and 17 rebounds in the 91-79 loss to Memphis on Mar. 16. He is averaging 9.2 points per game in addition to a team-best 7.8 rebounds per game. Areas of strength for Southern Miss include: offensive rebounding percentage at 40.4 and effective field goal percentage at 54.4.
Southern Miss StatSmack
- Charleston Southern players are more experienced than Southern Miss players (14,518 minutes played vs. 14,256 minutes played).
- The Charleston Southern blocks leader (Allie Fullah, 43 blocks) has more blocks than the Southern Miss blocks leader (Daveon Boardingham, 38 blocks).
- The Charleston Southern three-point leader (Saah Nimley, 70 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Southern Miss three-point leader (Jerrold Brooks, 61 three-pointers).
- Southern Miss has been ducking Charleston Southern for over 30 years.
- The Charleston Southern basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Southern Miss (100 percent vs. 54 percent).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Charleston Southern currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (944 to 922) than Southern Miss, per the NCAA.
- The top-ranking players between the two conferences for points, field goals made, three-pointers, steals, and blocks are in the Big South.
- The Charleston Southern scoring leader (Arlon Harper, 470 points) has more points than the Southern Miss scoring leader (Dwayne Davis, 446 points).
- The Charleston Southern steals leader (Arlon Harper, 60 steals) has more steals than the Southern Miss steals leader (Neil Watson, 51 steals).
- Charleston Southern is ranked higher than Southern Miss in their conference (No. 1 vs. No. 2).