|Minnesota||A Hollins 13.9||T Mbakwe 8.7||A Hollins 3.4|
|UCLA||S Muhammad 17.8||K Anderson 8.6||L Drew II 7.4|
11th-seeded Minnesota battles No. 6-seeded UCLA in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Erwin Center on Friday. The game gets underway at 9:57 p.m. ET and you can catch it on truTV. The Golden Gophers have not played the Bruins since the 1996-97 season, when they won 80-72.
In their last game on Mar. 14, Austin Hollins put up 16 points and six rebounds for the Golden Gophers in a loss to Illinois, 51-49. On top of a team-high 1.7 steals per game, he also scores 10.6 points per game. For the Bruins, Travis Wear finished with 13 points and seven rebounds in the 78-69 loss to Oregon on Mar. 16. He averages 11.2 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.0 blocks per game. From a tempo-free perspective, UCLA is strong in turnover percentage at 15.7. This is good enough for first in the conference and seventh in the nation.
- UCLA has to pay up to win. The coach for Minnesota has a much lower base salary than UCLA ($1,861,000 vs. $2,040,000).
- Minnesota has a stronger schedule than UCLA this season (SOS Rank: No. 2 vs. No. 37).
- The Minnesota three-point leader (Andre Hollins, 67 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the UCLA three-point leader (Jordan Adams, 43 three-pointers).
- Trevor Mbakwe is ranked 44th nationally in rebounds.
- Minnesota beat UCLA by 8 points the last time they played (Mar 22, 1997).
- Minnesota has a much lower in-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than UCLA ($20,977 vs. $27,210).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Minnesota currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (954 to 942) than UCLA, per the NCAA.
- Minnesota has a better scoring defense (62.0 allowed per game vs. 68.8 allowed per game) than UCLA this season.
- The Minnesota blocks leader (Trevor Mbakwe, 46 blocks) has more blocks than the UCLA blocks leader (Travis Wear, 30 blocks).
- Minnesota players are more experienced than UCLA players (16,569 minutes played vs. 13,823 minutes played).
|B||Larry Drew II||0||8||3||8||1||0||2|