Iowa State vs. Notre Dame: Full Game Preview
|Iowa State||W Clyburn 15.0||M Ejim 9.3||K Lucious 5.7|
|Notre Dame||J Grant 13.4||J Cooley 10.3||J Grant 5.6|
10th-seeded Iowa State squares off against No. 7-seeded Notre Dame in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at University of Dayton Arena on Friday. It takes place at 9:45 p.m. ET and you can see it on CBS.
In spite of 19 points from Georges Niang, the Cyclones came up short 88-73 against Kansas on Mar. 15. While contributing 4.5 rebounds per game, he also scores 12.0 points per game. For the Fighting Irish, Jack Cooley finished with 14 points and six rebounds in the 69-57 loss to Louisville on Mar. 15. With 10.3 rebounds per game and 1.2 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. Notre Dame will hope to exploit their strengths, which include: effective field goal percentage at 52.3 and turnover percentage at 17.4.
Notre Dame StatSmack
- Last year the Big 12 had fewer blowout games in conference (meaning there is greater parity within the conference) than in the Big East.
- The Iowa State three-point leader (Tyrus McGee, 87 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Notre Dame three-point leader (Pat Connaughton, 48 three-pointers).
- Iowa State players are more experienced than Notre Dame players (18,438 minutes played vs. 16,184 minutes played).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Iowa State currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (943 to 1000) than Notre Dame, per the NCAA.
- Iowa State has a potent offense, scoring more points (80.1 per game vs. 70.7 per game) than Notre Dame this season.
- Melvin Ejim is ranked 30th nationally in rebounds.
- Iowa State has a stronger schedule than Notre Dame this season (SOS Rank: No. 67 vs. No. 76).
- Notre Dame has been ducking Iowa State for over 30 years.
- Iowa State is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Iowa State is 225 lbs compared to 218 lbs for Notre Dame.
- Last year the top-ranking players between the two conferences for points, rebounds, field goals made, three-pointers, and blocks were in the Big 12.
- The Big 12 has 2 teams - Oklahoma (75.8 percent) and Oklahoma State (74.8 percent) - that shoot a better free throw percentage than the Big East leader, Connecticut (74.8 percent).